or Connect

Posts by PumaBearclan

Yes, you do see what I'm saying exactly. It may seem deep but I think it's an important distinction, because social experiences don't always go as planned and at times we must learn to get by without them, or to cope with changes in relationships, so having no one to please and being able to be alone, or being able to stay objective in relationships, is really important... having your self-esteem tied up in relationships, I think is not the best path to take. I'm not...
I agree with IdentityCrisisMama but I would call the social rewards a side-effect of personal responsibility. Easing the way and pleasing others can be a positive thing, but it can also be a negative thing too - if your children are angry with you they will know to do the opposite of what they have learned makes things go easily for you - this can be a real trial in teen and pre-teen years. I emphasized that what others most appreciate in relationships is being with...
  High in protein!!
 It doesn't, you have to make them understand it. You have to help them see that they aren't just "in" the world but moving through it. Where you are now, they will be. That was the eye-opener for my daughter. I would playfully ask: "OK, so... when you're 20, will you be able to do your own laundry? Like, now, you don't even know where your clothes are! Are they under the bed?! Like usual?! HAHA - 'Hey mom! Have you seen the keys to my apartment/car/gym locker?' 'No,...
At the end of her life, our dog ate Evangers Canned, which is pretty much just normal human food. She had great success with it for the last 6 years of her life and she was very old. Low in sodium (we had that problem, esp with food containing fish), balanced, palatable.   You could try making the meal presentation into a more relaxing time? Maybe the dog gets anxious, which upsets her stomach.   I am not a fan of pills. If it was my dog I would try to eliminate...
Clairabelle, low carb is doable and healthy. I have been low carb for almost 10 years now and feel great pretty much all the time. Carbs are physically and psychologically addictive. You may need a year or more to transition to low-carb. I was high-carb lacto-vegetarian and went to low-carb and I had every problem in the book during my transition, every problem you mention and more. A support group for low-carbing can help. Please do not lose hope for your LCHF diet, I am...
It was a big help in this area when my daughter actually realized that true adults do not have parents or servants running the household, taking care of their bodies, making decisions, etc. It was like a "bolt from the blue" for her. She realized that she could and would be an adult herself one day, and the sooner she got into a more adult program the further along she would be toward being her own person - an adult, also. This is very uplifting for a young child, it's an...
I like your approach, FisherFamily. The OP says there is often conflict between the two kids, however. Creating a "family" atmosphere between only 2 kids may be a little more difficult than in a group (certainly worth emphasizing and cultivating, however!) How do you handle conflict among the kids? Or when one falls into a habit of laziness or bossiness?   Between us it seems we have the bases covered: do it for yourself, and do it for the family. Now how to make it...
At this age (4-7) I used incentives as you describe for various things. I felt that the challenge of that age was perceiving and developing a constructive interface with others & the "world." At this age there didn't seem to be the awareness of the intrinsic benefit of cleaning up, brushing teeth, eating well, practicing reading and writing skills, following a schedule, etc. I used incentives rather than punishments. One incentive that worked well was a filling punch card...
We didn't have critical health issues but we did deal with this issue somewhat in my household... My daughter wanted to bring food from home without all the flack. Daily the faculty and students would pass by to see what was in her lunch bag, offering her other options to "save" her. She would talk about this and I was surprised, because I didn't remember this kind of pressure (however, 40% of my school bagged lunch in those days).   What I did was this: I "gourmeted"...