or Connect

Posts by Ellp

Yes, the big dolls are supposed to be a friend, as opposed to a daughter or a baby.  At least thats how my kids play with their dolls.   We don't have American girls as I chose to sew cloth Waldorf-like dolls for the kids.  In Canada you can get "Canadian Girls", which are very, very similar to American Girl dolls but without all the mass marketing.  There are no stores, cafe's, mass ads other than the occasional insert in a kids magazine.  The price point is very...
My ILs are really nice and fairly understanding.  Its my own freaking parents who are the trouble makers.  Already its started for Christmas...   My mom and I had talked a few years ago about possibly doing a "Turducken" (thats a chicken stuffed into a duck, stuffed into a turkey, all boneless, then roasted) one of these years.  It was all talk because we didn't know anywhere that you could get one.  Yesterday my mom calls and tells me to go find one and get it,...
Nice to bump into you too Lisa! We get together with Couple B on a regular basis as our kids are friends and the wife teaches Dd#2 piano on a weekly basis.  The reason I held these annual get togethers is so that the adults could have some social time where the focus isn't on kids activities yk?   No, I really don't care if we're invited to their house or not.  Its just they've never really expended any effort in maintaining the friendship.  Whether this is because...
Limabean:  I didn't keep my portion because I had told Couple A's wife that I have gotten $240 in total for the carriers.  I felt it was presumptious of me to take out my portion beforehand.  I guess I expected her to hand me my portion when she took it.  I clearly told her that I had the full $240, and here it all was.     I guess I should have spoken up about my portion but it was really awkward to bring it up as the wife immediately spoke up about needing the...
Grahamsmom98: Ouch.  Bit harsh, wasn't it? I did tell the older boy of the Couple A to quit climbing the furniture, btw.  However, I was a bit occupied at the time, cooking, serving, and hostessing to hover over the kids the whole time.  I do EXPECT the PARENTS to watch their kids at someone's home.    Lisa, you've hit it right on the nail...    I'm not sore about not being invited to Couple A's home.  I'm just irritated that despite being invited to several...
Hi all,   I've pretty much come to a conclusion about my decision but just need some feedback to validate my decision...:-)   For the past five years I've hosted a holiday dinner for a couple of Dh's former co-workers and their families.  At first we were just 3 couples, and we got along fine, although it was initially awkward for the Dh and the wives who only knew everyone through their significant others.   As time went on, we got to know each other on...
My dream kitchen would definately be the heart of the home.  My current kitchen comes close in terms of size and maybe layout but there'd be a few changes I'd make.    My kitchen is square shaped, roughly 12ft by 12ft, with the sink on one side, a big kitchen window in front of it, and the stove on the other side, kitty corner.  I can wash a veg, take one step to the side and drop it in a pot.  Thats how close it is, and I love it.  I have a center island that is 2...
- Call friends to chat more often.  Now that the kids are older, they can survive without me for more than 30 seconds...   -Keep on top of the paperwork.  Somehow I got into the habit of just dumping my receipts in a pile on my desk.  Tonight I cleared it out and it took me a whole friggin 2 hours to look through and shred stuff!   -Eat more fruits and veggies.  I can give them to the kids just fine but I forget to eat them myself.
I'd love a fridge with built in water and ice dispensers.  The kids and Dh love cold water and they're constantly opening the fridge and the kids risk spilling the full Brita filter jug.    My 2nd choice would be to have a really nice stove/oven.  I'm using a hand me down that is 20+ years old but just won't die.  Its just a basic stove/oven that isn't self cleaning and is a realy ROYAL PAIN to clean.
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and suggestions!    I didn't get a chance to do any crafting for presents as we left on Monday and returned yesterday.  So I ended up bringing a large jar of peaches (1Qt) and a pint jar of raspberry jam, with a nice card.   The place was amazing, and I believe it when Dh said no expense was spared.  The owner calls it a cabin, but it seriously could feature in a home decor magazine, and was much, much nicer than my own...