or Connect

Posts by cyncyn

Lol, I lived in Eastmoreland for a year and yeah, it's pretty slow. Very beautiful though with all the street trees. It is also kind of a PITA to get to the freeway from there at rush hour. Laurelhurst is also full of lovely traditional family homes and has better freeway access, plus more neighborhood activity. Laurelhurst Elementary School is very good but the neighborhood is spendy.
We are Portland natives and love it here. My dd is 8 also. The schools are hit or miss around here so if that is a priority for you, you should research it. The best neighborhood schools tend to be in the pricier neighborhoods, although there are exceptions of course. Your child is supposed to attend the local school as designated by somewhat arbitrary borders (which sometimes change) unless the neighborhood school has failed to meet the NCLB rules. Then, in some cases,...
  Yes, this. So many products are sold at far below their actual cost that people have lost sight of the real cost of many manufactured items.   I sometimes find a coupon I can use, but my favorite grocery store, Grocery Outlet, doesn't even take coupons. There are many products there that I won't buy, but the selection of basic ingredients and organics makes up for that. I'm saving about 50% shopping there (spent $107, saved $90).   I am even more careful about...
I agree not to worry about later; do what's right for right now. DD skipped 2nd and is now in a 3rd, 4th and 5th grade class; she turned 8 a month ago. She is in a K-12 charter and that did influence our decision a little bit about the skip. Our local high school is a tough urban school, not somewhere I think I would want to send my sensitive, small for her age daughter at 13. But I do think that we could work with that if necessary. There is also a local community...
Evelyn is originally a boy's name as well. I like the mixing up of the genders for names, but picked old fashioned girls names for dd. I do prefer the classic names but dd's school class (born 2000-2003) is very diverse: Jupiter, Sage, Valentina, Stella, Meyette, Hunter, Orion, Isaiah, Hailey, Atticus, Mila, Thalia, Avery, Simon, Luna, Meadow, Velo, etc. None of the Jennifers and Heathers that are the mamas I know. My brother, sister and I all have names that were in the...
My dd tested gifted in her public K but there wasn't really a school program until 2nd grade. She was reading at 3rd grade level at that time. We changed to a charter school for 1st and she was in a 1/2 grade blend. This was a great class and she did so well that I asked about skipping 2nd (would have been a repeat of teacher and curriculum) and going into the 3/4/5 class. She has been doing great and recently easily exceeded the state test levels for 3rd grade. In class...
Indeed, I am still running the website and doing special events for Zoom Baby Gear. I just can't afford a storefront anymore in this economy. The Diaper Circles are part of the advocacy I do for the Real Diaper Association, and are great for asking questions and learning about cloth diapers.
Join us to talk about cloth diapers! Ask questions, see samples and demonstrations in a supportive, non-commercial setting. Already successful with cloth diapers? Please come and share your knowledge with other families! Find out how you can help put cloth diapers in the record books. A Guinness World Record attempt is coming up 4/23 and YOU can be part of it! Held in the community room at the Kenton branch of the Multnomah County Library, 8226 N. Denver...
We love Trillium Charter School. My daughter did go to our N. Portland neighborhood school for K, but after the "thrill" of school wore off, she did not like it at all (missed 19 days in the last trimester, many mornings of crying). We found the behavior management style to be too punitive for us, as an early reader she was bored, and the parents were not involved. I had always considered myself to be a champion of public school and went in with an open mind, volunteered...
I have several friends whose kids love PVS and some who have left for other schools (charter schools, traditional public schools and homeschooling). The neighborhood is up and coming, still affordable. I think it is very convenient to transit, the #75 bus stops just 2 blocks away and it runs all the way from St. Johns in the extreme north to SE 39th across town, passing by at least one major transit center with MAX access to downtown etc.   I have heard that they...