or Connect

Posts by writingislove

My stepson is halfway through the fourth grade.  His grade in math at school fluctuates between poor at some times and good at others.  However, my husband and I have been concerned lately that he's not as up to speed as he should be at basic math.  We played Monopoly last weekend and he was having trouble doing the addition and subtraction for simple change.  We sat down tonight and did some practice exchanges with the Monopoly money, and he can't even subtract 290 from...
 The concern he expressed the other night was money, not an opposition to childcare itself.  This is what got us started on the whole childcare conversation recently--he seems to think we'll have to have separate shifts, which isn't a possibility in our current careers.  But I use a spreadsheet for budgeting purposes and even after we factor in a bit of an increase in mortgage, on my income alone I still believe we would be fine utilizing childcare five days a week (done...
Thanks for the reply.  My husband and I have been together for five years (married for over a year now) and we have talked at length over the years about having children, so I think it really is a matter of him being overly idealistic.  I'm uncomfortable waiting too much longer because the older you get, the lower your chances are of conceiving, and I don't want to run into trouble conceiving down the road simply because I waited for my husband to feel like it was the...
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has been ready for a baby before their husband was, so it will be nice to get some input.   I'm 28 years old.  I'm graduating in December with my second degree (so I am DONE with school), I have a great job, we're about to sell our house and buy a bigger one, and my husband just got a job that he actually loves.  For a woman who has wanted a baby now for a LONG time, this would all look like the ideal time to start trying. ...
  You know, there is actually great potential to just expand on to our current house--our lot is HUGE and we definitely don't need all of the oversized back yard we currently have.  :)
Thank you all for your responses!  My biggest fear was that it wouldn't be "fair" to my future baby if he/she didn't have his/her own room.  But after reading all these replies, I feel much better--like I actually can start planning to grow my family!  :)
My husband and I have been married for 4.5 months (together for 4 years).  We own our house, we both have stable jobs, we've both completed our desired education, and I am starting to get really excited about having kids.   Problem is, our home is only a two-bedroom home and my husband has a son who stays with us 3 days a week--meaning, we don't have a spare bedroom.  We purchased our house at the best opportunity, so our payment is REALLY low.  If we were to move...
Thanks for all of the input so far.  This is the only area in which we differ about our parenting style.  In most other aspects, we are definitely on the same page.  The reason I'm struggling with this particular issue is due to the fact that I'm not my stepson's mother, so deciding discipline is out of the question--and because of this, when we do have children, I don't want my husband to think I'll allow them to do the same things his son is allowed simply because I'm...
Hi everyone, newbie here...   I've been married for about 4 months--been with my husband for 4 years.  My husband has an 8-year-old son, whom I've known since he was four.  Overall, he's a pretty well-behaved child, except for some serious attention issues.  He splits his time 50/50 between his mother's house and ours.   Here's the thing:  my husband and I plan to have more children.  But both my husband and his ex seem to be perfectly fine with my stepson...