or Connect

Posts by Lizafava

We are taking it a semester at a time.  This outlook really helped my kids' father.  We are not "homeschoolers", we are "homeschooling right now".  I also agreed to yearly achievement tests but I don't think he cares about that anymore now that he sees how its going.  Talking to him about the differences in school hours and start-times worldwide helped him see that sending our 5yo to school at all but especially FT was not "necessary".  He could also see that 5yoDS was not...
I bought Moving Beyond the Page for our first year of homeschooling.  I like it okay and it sounds like something you would really like.  I don't think its that expensive for all the great books you get, though you can just get the books at the library or on amazon for cheaper.  We have ended up skipping a lot of fluff and expanding on other things - especially the social studies which I find light, dry and very.... patriotic.
For my boys, 8 and 5, Singapore math has been great.  There are pictures (and lots of tropical fruit!), but the program is solid and mostly how I remember learning math, with more emphasis on concepts.  The word problems are very cool.  My 8yo is gifted with math but detests repetition.  Singpore math is easy to fly through when the concepts come easily and does not make you repeat stuff that you've mastered.  When we need to camp out on a more difficult concept the...
I will tell you, as a new homeschooler, that is *isn't huge*.  I told people that we were going to homeschool for a while and see how it goes.  Even now when people ask me now how long we are going to HS I say "as long as it works for us".  It really helped me to be able to frame it as a temporary decision that could be renewed.  Our kids were in a private school (we live in a city with terrible PS) and we secured a promise that we could return even after one semester if...
My 8yo just had this surgery.  I am not happy that three doctors missed it, but guess that they could have ascended.  Some studies suggest this is more common that previously thought.  When it was finally caught our ped acted like I should have noticed.  I haven't felt - nor closely examined - my kids scrotum since we was 2.  But they have.  Anyway.    The surgery went okay.  I recently underwent surgery for a ruptured appendix and so I think that helped my son know what...
I started with a green apprentice and feel like that was a mistake.  I prefer advanced students and/or nurses.  I don't always like having 3 people at a birth and I want to know that after a few observes that my student will be able to confidently draw up pit, take a BP accurately and help with NRP.  My new requirement is that my assistant be able to start an IV.  I am currently working with a new assistant who is fairly new but recently graduated from nursing school.  She...
my 5.5 yo just started taking some lines out of his "E"s, uh, yesterday.  I kind of miss them - they were like combs!  Writing is super boring and stressful for lots of little kids.  Sounds like yours is doing great. 
I also came (back after years away!) here to read stories of other mamas who are HSing and working.  Its hard but I think we are finding our groove.    I am a full-time HB midwife with 2-5 births a month.  I think I average 40-60 hours of work a week.  I work really long saturdays every week - typically I do prenatal appointments from 8-7 and then for a few hours again on Sundays.  I do most of the paperwork part of my job in the evening and from time to time I have to...
I I switched to the EMR private practice about a year and a half ago, but I would be happy to share my paper charts.  You can send me an email at stlouismidwife at gmail.   I would suggest really looking into an EMR before spending a ton of time making your own charts though.  There are things I miss about paper charts but I'm starting to forget what they were.  The benefits of an EMR really outweigh any issues I initially have or minor gripes I continue to have with...
We have always explained to our boys, 4 and 7, that Santa is just a game some grownups like to play.  This year, my children seem to be enjoying practicing their critical thinking skills by pointing out why Santa can't be real.  A couple days ago, driving home from school, one of my boys pointed out that, even if the reindeer could fly, santa would fall to the ground because the *reins* couldn't fly, so what would be holding up the sleigh?  In our home we believe all...