or Connect

Posts by richella

I wasn't at all sure at the time that it wasn't for all the wrong reasons! I hated it, like I had failed at homeschooling before even trying. Plus other family dynamics made it hard for me to concentrate strictly on what was best for dd, and ignore other people's opinions. I really wanted to prove to certain people that we could do it, and better than the school system. But I had to let go of that. Then it all turned out to be good.   . . . then today she REALLY didn't...
Does he have time away from you? We are fortunate to have the ILs nearby, so both dds get time with them and not us, as well as occasional times apart from each other with their grands. I really think that's essential for all of us.   There was a period when dd1 was almost 4 and she was impossible to be around. She challenged everything I said or did, refused to cooperate with me at every opportunity, etc etc etc. I got so fed up and at my wit's end that I decided to...
I read about the connection btwn vasectomy and dementia maybe 3-4 years ago, a very small study. Does anyone know of anything newer or more extensive? It really concerns me too. Dh wouldn't hesitate to get a vas, and it would be more affordable than a tubal, but he too has a family history of dementia. I think I'd rather abort than watch his mind disintegrate, btdt with my mom. I'd get a tubal in a heartbeat if we had insurance or any way to pay for it. Would be willing...
Thanks!
I have all these volunteer gourds this year, they came in my compost, and I left them because I thought they were pumpkins, but most turned out to be producing small decorative gourds. (Though I was very pleased to come home from vacation to see a spaghetti squash!) Right now they're dark green and light green striped, with little warts all over. Most are roundish, a couple have necks and are about the shape and size of a small yellow squash. Any thoughts on when to harvest?
mmm, parsnips . . . and thanks onthemove, I'll have to get in an order for garlic soon.
Thanks, pinky. So you plant the garlic after the frost. That helps. Last year I did peas and the girls loved them, put them in earlier this year, but still "too" late, and they were dry and tasteless before they were done, which of course the kids wouldn't touch. I'd heard about doing a fall planting, but just got back from vacation, and it was hot before we left, then hot again today, so I'm just confused about that. People have told me, though, that they can be planted...
I haven't done fall/winter planting before, but want to this year. I think I'll try some garlic, but don't know when to plant it. Do I want it to have time in the ground before the frost? Or do I want it to remain dormant? I'm in zone 6. Also interested in what others are doing. I did turnips last spring, with mixed results. They did produce small amounts of green leaves pretty much all winter, however, though they weren't very tasty. Is it too late for winter squashes?...
Everyone probably already knows this, but I've found that high grass near the veg bed really encourages grasshoppers. I tend to let a space go to weeds if there's nothing in it currently growing, and the grasshoppers love that. Unfortunately, so do I, for the wild greens I get . . . but mowing frequently all around the bed seems to make a slightly less hospitable environment for them.
Once again I came to MDC to ask a question, to find it already answered! I've never grown garlic before, but it's time to expand my growing season.