or Connect

Posts by richella

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I like your approach, but I'm not sure I can think of more than one lunch that they would both eat. And it changes so unpredictably. Will think about this more, though.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to raise children who enjoy making choices and feeling in control of their lives, but without feeling totally entitled to have everything exactly the way the want it every time?????? I'm really struggling with this, esp in regards to food. Dds are 3 and 5. It's been a busy summer and I don't have time to go to the store (next town over) very often, which means that there have been lots of times when there simply aren't that many choices in...
I was being quiet at first because I wasn't assuming there was anything going on that wouldn't be okay. After I saw the secrecy, in retrospect I might have just gone right in. Though I think it was all over at that point anyway.
The preschool had a field trip today in which they ended up at a park with a new fenced play area. Everyone loves it. There were plenty of adults, though some of the kids are pretty rambunctious. There were some older (pre-teen?) kids there, and this is a small town, so people are pretty open about making friends with whoever is there. At one point there were several kids of both groups in a small, dark spot in the "boat." Dd was one of the preschoolers (age 5). I...
Apparently it's some kind of issue where the think they have to have the same schedule every day. It doesn't make any sense to me, but there is a lot of weird stuff going on with severe budget cuts, and they're down to 1 PE teacher for the whole district, with 2 schools in 2 towns, and I think they still have 2 music teachers, but that's for K-12. It's a huge mess. So I think they're just trying to keep it as simple as possible. But I also think it's kind of punitive in a...
Oh, that's a good question. I know of an online school (next county over! that'll rile up some people . . .) that has a statement about not holding kids back to keep them at grade level.
We are in a small district with one elementary school, one KG class. We have an option to choose half or full day. Half day is AM only. I don't see a need for full day. Every parent I've talked to says their kid was dead exhausted at the end of a full day of kg, and every homeschooler (except some with special needs kids) I've talked to says they can cover the material in usually 2 hours/day. We do lots of stuff as a family, and already the ballet, soccer, and music are...
ammiga, do you have any links on the pertussis/asthma stuff? sunkist, here's a different perspective. I at first decided it was all way too complicated for me to understand, I would need to be an epidemiologist to sort through all the variables, so I decided to trust my intuition. I sat down and meditated on whether or not to vax, and I felt very calm and at peace with the decision to do the first round. Everything went fine. A few months later I figured it was time for...
I think about Rebecca Riley regularly, since she died. Just today I read an article about how the new book on mental health diagnoses will have a new condition that is supposed to create an alternative to diagnosing young children as bipolar. I wonder if the psychiatrists who worked on this were influenced by the case of Rebecca Riley.
I'd say that her MD telling her not to do it is pretty significant. How often does that even happen?