or Connect

Posts by richella

I think for us the MD figured soy milk has everything she would worry about, so it was simple to consider it a substitute for the cow milk that we don't use. I think the nutrient she wold be concerned about would be mostly calcium. It's pretty sunny where we live, and I've talked with her about D and sunshine. We do eat eggs, so b12 probably isn't an issue. Why not just ask the MD? Most likely you are already using foods that have whatever the MD is concerned about, and...
That sounds fabulous.
Mm, that sounds so good. Haven't had tempeh in ages, maybe it's time to try it out on the kids again.
we got a bag of these big yellow pods from the CSA. Possibly wax beans? The only thing I've ever known anybody to do with big beans is cook them all day with some bacon or ham, which isn't going to happen. What on earth do I do with these things?
Ours isn't tiny, but small, enough to keep track of what the kids are watching. Definitely one of the advantages of the smaller house!
That's interesting about mercury/amalgam. This dentist doesn't even use it. I think I know of another DDS I can call. Should I do it now or later . . . so much other stuff going on right now . . .
I would definitely choose youtube with a 4 yo. It's very easy to get something weird. Once dd was watching on dh's phone and he dozed off and she found a cartoon which started out like whatever show she wanted to watch, but suddenly it would cut to a scary horror-movie monster-kind of face, then back to the cartoon. She was fine, but who knows what other kinds of stuff could pop up when no adult is paying attention. Even network tv has standards (whether we agree with...
I thought Kingsolver's treatment of vegetarianism was weak, however. She repeatedly said it's impossible to eat local and vegetarian, though she didn't appear to give it much serious thought, or make any effort. I don't have a problem with her eating meat, but I wish she could have just said vegetarianism isn't her thing and left it at that. Nothing has really been proven about eating local in modern life; it's all an experiment. Why discourage other people from...
I loooove kimchi. Not sure I can get all those ingredients around here. Sandor Katz is the bomb. For some reason I'm afraid to try sauerkraut . . .  
We live in a rural area, have to call around in town to see who would take us w/o x-rays.   DD1 had a filling last year, it was I think a polymer? not mercury. Not sure plastic is better . . .