or Connect

Posts by richella

Talking about Waldorf reminds me of something that happened with my niece. She went to Waldorf school from 1st-6th grade. It was a big deal to give up tv, but they loved the school so they made the sacrifice. My sis said that her behavior was so much better that she wouldn't change back to unlimited tv even if they weren't in Waldorf anymore. The behavior change is consistent with my experience with dd2, but not dd1. I suspect that it affects different people...
Wow, so many issues. I'll just say 2 quick things.   When dd1 was a baby, I couldn't have even a talk show on tv because she would cry when people raised their voices. Another time I was flipping channels in the evening and a scene came on in which there was a car on a jack and another person pushed it so it rolled onto the person changing a tire. She burst out crying! I didn't even know she could focus on a screen across the room. So I started limiting anything...
I used Hypnobirthing, the Mongan Method. Some like Hypnobabies better. But the one I used was great. I'd recommend it to anyone. I listened to the CD mostly while sleeping, and didn't even know what it said (though some of it is more useful if you use it consciously, but even sleeping through it has benefits). One day while listening to the standard natural birth horror stories everyone has to tell any woman who wants to have one, I thought, oh, but that has nothing to...
I had lingering abdominal pain for 5 months after the cesarian, and didn't particularly want to get out of bed for a month or so. I was terrified to have that experience again with a 2-yo as well as a newborn. The only mitigating factor would be going into a planned ces. not starving and exhausted, as I did with the first one. Still, my fear of having to recover from major abdominal surgery and mother a toddler at the same time drove me to seek a vbac.   I found a...
Coming back to mothering.com after not being here frequently for a couple years. It seems like people used to put links to products in their signature sometimes. I was thinking about either a link to a product (a book) or to my website, which has photography and writing but does not sell the book directly.   I'm not seeing any of these today, and from reading the updated user agreement, it appears that this practice may not be allowed any more (if ever? Maybe I'm...
I totally agree that $150 is not enough for 2 weeks. I spend about that much every week, and I live in a rural area where food is cheaper than in cities. When I'm budgeting I try to cook a pot of beans every week, and use it through the week. Sometimes a bag of garbanzos, use for hummus, in curry, in pasta/bean salad. When it's colder maybe a bag of mixed beans for soup. Or split peas. I didn't see beans in your OP, and they are cheap and filling.   I also agree...
Hi, I just got this app, IPeriod. I'm liking it a lot so far, though I just have the free version. Before I upgrade, I thought I'd ask if others are using other apps and how they compare.   It's funny, after the bairns were born, whenever I had my period, I thought, isn't this for little girls? I'm not having any more children, why do I still have to do this? But now I'm watching my cycles, checking my cervical mucous, noting my moods, etc, it's kind of cool again....
Hm. I'm not sure you really want to do this. But then again I had a lot of fears about having a second, but it turned out to be the perfect choice. Now dh and I are in complete agreement that we're done. I don't know what I'd do if he wanted more! Well, I think I would tell him to go volunteer at the preschool or something. :)   I was 37 and 40 when mine were born, and I wouldn't say my energy level is a problem. But then I don't have 4 already, and I am a pretty...
Thanks, that article is exactly what I was looking for. It surprised me when I read about that a few months ago how unequivocal they were in making the connection.   I know next time we go in they are going to push me on this, and they'll tell me how much lower the radiation dose is than it was in the past. But it irks the heck out of me that 30 years ago I was told, these x-rays are so perfectly wonderfully safe, nothing to worry about at all, silly girl, when...
Just got back from routine check-up/cleaning for 8 yo dd. Last year I allowed x-rays as she had a pretty big cavity and I thought it might enable the best tx of that. This year I didn't allow x-rays. They laid the pressure on rather thick. All about how it's all digitized now and much lower dose than used to be (which was of course at the time said to be completely safe). Somewhere along the way I read an article about how routine dental x-rays had been found to be...