or Connect

Posts by richella

I don't know Gaia Herbs, but I'd like to.  
I do wear make-up, rarely, and I don't mind having fun with appearance. I give my dds much more freedom in their clothing and hair choices than I had (though my mom was very old-school about that stuff). I guess my main hesitation is that as girls get older there is so much pressure to present oneself so as to be attractive to boys, or for approval of anyone else, as opposed to knowing that beauty is inherent from within.  
No suggestions, I came to ask what other moms think of make-up for kids. My DD is 5 and also "girly." She has asked for this many times over months. I have mixed feelings at best about make-up. Would like some perspective on this!  
My 2 used a skuut bike, loved it. They were nowhere close to balancing on it when it was their size, and by the time they got it, it was too small. But, they learned to balance well and when they started the pedal bike, esp. dd1 just picked it up right away, no struggling. dd2 took a bit longer, but still I'd highly recommend the system. I don't think they learned to pedal earlier, but much easier than if they'd tried to go from trike to bike. And training wheels imo...
Oh mdc, I love you! Why do I waste my time looking for information anywhere else?
Hm. Didn't know I was acting so much from fear. Will have to think about that. And I definitely don't want to get into a battle, wouldn't do that unless a situation was very extreme, to say the least. Mostly I was wondering about ways to open a conversation about gender with an open-minded person who perhaps hasn't thought about it very much. This conversation is giving me lots to think about. Thanks to everyone.  
Thanks for all the input. Donating books to the class library is a great idea. I love the rethinking schools article. Have to go with Jen on dividing by gender as a convenience. I'd hate to make the teacher's very challenging job less convenient, but I don't see the need to emphasize the differences between boys and girls. I know the women's studies I took in college was a long time ago, so I'm trying to find some more recent stuff on boy/girl differences. Not...
Just came home from dropping dd at preschool where she told a boy who had fallen in some mud, "Boys and mud go together, and bruises." Fortunately I was standing next to dd and said, "I know some girls who get muddy and bruises too." She looked up and said, "That's me!" I think I need to talk to this teacher about gender and stereotypes, but I need help. I love this teacher, she's smart and creative and adores the kids. She takes them outside a lot, gives them...
this is such a big subject for me. I could ramble on and on about all the ways girls and boys are separated from each other, defined as being one thing or another, told what they like and dislike. Sometimes I feel like I am fighting the whole freakin world and sometimes I can't even remember why. We only have one preschool here, and nothing alternative, so most of my experience is in trying to get a standard school system to accommodate us weirdos. I've found it mostly...
I actually got the recycling closet door closed! Been a few weeks. dh is looking over my shoulder laughing at me, comparing me to Frog and Toad. (He decides to make a list of things to do, and the first item is, 'make a list.') If he makes dinner, I can fold laundry, but not sure, well, he just went into the kitchen, so let's see what happens . . .