or Connect

Posts by richella

Thanks everybody for the support. You're right that I haven't been clear, I so far have just smiled and said, "thank you for the invitation." But I also looked at the site and talked w/dh about it (he might be more adamant than I am). Now I am more clear myself about what my disagreement is, in case anyone asks (which is unlikely). Thanks again!
I'm pretty sure the pumpkin patch lady told me this one would be good for pie, but I'm not positive she really knew what it was (they had a bad year and had to import lots of stuff). It's about the size and shape of a medium pumpkin, but the orange is paler, and most of the surface is warty. No other color. tia
A friend lent me this book, and even also a bucket for storing dough in the fridge. She loves it, but for some reason it didn't work for me. could have been an equipment problem (they recommend baking on a stone, which I don't have) or room temp or something, but every loaf went flat before it rose. Might have worked for a foccacia, I suppose, but not for slicing up at the table.   If I recall, most of the recipes are refined grains, I think there are a few whole...
First, it's rare when following what the gut says turns out to be a mistake. But you probably know that.   However, it would be simpler if you knew what she's thinking and feeling. I never missed ice cream when I went vegan, myself. Didn't find the substitutes lacking. There might be other brands, like some of the coconut based ones, that are fatty enough to satisfy. (healthy is another issue!) I like the Uncheese Cookbook a lot for much healthier alternatives to...
Hi, my kids have been repeatedly invited to Awana. We live in a very conservative community, where it is kind of assumed that everyone is Christian, and if you're not, then you need to be. I don't identify as Christian, though MIL is a liberal preacher and the kids usually go to church, about half the time I go with them. But I have some doctrinal issues with Christianity, and I struggle with it. DH and I have made some effort to expose the kids to other traditions, but...
Can't decide what I like. I like the Earthlust steel water bottles, but then again I might choose one made in USA if I were buying. Really impressed with how much stuff they offer is made in USA. Also I like the Lunchskins, the reuseit baggies, and lots more.
I don't know what to make of  your experience, but I sure wouldn't touch that stuff again! One thing about Bach, and homeopathy in general, you get the one which is specific to your needs. Sounds like today you used RR at a time when you weren't experiencing anxiety, so it wasn't something beneficial to you. The wrong one for me usually has very little or no effect; the right one helps a lot. Years ago, for some stupid reason, I took a homeopathic for poison ivy when I...
I was pretty lax about handwashing until dd had elevated lead. First, handwashing before every time she ate and whenever she came in from outside was the only big change we made, and it helped a bit. Later it became high, and eventually went down to normal. Meantime we got pretty strict about the hands. Needless to say, sanitizer does nothing to remove lead, so if we don't have time or water available, we use wipes. Even if it's a newer building (since 1977) without lead...
I hadn't really considered tryptophan as I read that a high percentage is lost in the digestive tract, unlike 5-HTP. Will think about that as an alternative, esp since it occurs more abundantly in foods, therefore likely to be very safe. Pretty sure the supp. brands I use aren't made in China . . . but might have to look into that. That whole story sounds suspicious. Good reason to avoid big pharma.
I am interested in others' experiences and thoughts on this supplement. On the one hand, it seems sort of philosophically better to me to use a supplement which enables the body to produce what it naturally does (but more), rather than a drug which inhibits a natural process, forcing the serotonin level up. But, I've read (Chemistry of Joy) that 5-HTP has some of the same drawbacks and side effects as SSRIs. That author recommends using it with supervision (which I am...