or Connect

Posts by crazytownmama

moominmama - I really appreciate your response.  I have to get my mom out of my head sometimes (who is NOT a fan of homeschooling, and frequently bemoans the poor clerk who cannot make simple change of a 10.00 bill) ...  and, there's another layer in that he'll be going to public school next year...  So, he does need to get a bit more up to speed... but I don't think I'm going to push it as much...  he's got the concepts down.  We're starting a review with life of fred to...
Alright... I'm stumped.  I need a way to teach my 8 year old math facts...  problem is that he gets super frustrated the second he can't answer a question.  Flash cards (that I hold) are boring.  Left on his own, he "memorizes" them instantly and then is done with them - i challenge him to answer each one right before he's done, and he can but he has to think about each one.  If I make into a timed game, he's not interested and won't do it...    I tried xtramath.org and...
We go back next Tuesday for a more in depth test to figure out what his issues really are (although he's now using it as a get out of jail free card...oooh, i can't see that, i see double that...etc...so I hope they are able to call him on his BS and figure out whats actually going on...  sigh... So I'll know more of what we're actually dealing with then... As far as school goes... I really don't know what to expect, but you hear lots of "i pulled my kid from school...
Hi Moms, I hope its ok I'm posting here.  We homeschool, but just found out my 8 year old has an eye issue (he has 20/20 vision -- we have to go back for more testing before they recommend how we fix it, but his eyes don't work together to process info in book-reading range... which is probably why he's still not reading fluently or easily...)  He's probably going into the public school system next year...   I'm looking for stories of public schoolers with similar...
I found the blog post I was talking about... she calls it a mommy and me journal.  It's not the great name I was thinking it was...  http://www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com/2012/06/mommy-me-journal.html   ah well... i was also toying with the idea of calling them communication journals and letting the kids write notes to each other in them too when they had issues to sort out (as they got older, they're still too little for that yet i think) ...  but that sounds too formal...
A long time ago, I read this great blog post where a mom shared that she made these books for her kids... they were like diaries or journals and mom would write a message to kid, kid would write back, etc.  She started young (before kids could write) and kept it up through puberty where they were really useful...  What I'm really looking for is the name she called them.  She had a great name...     I'm finally getting around to putting journals together for my kids, and...
My mom broke her arm (well, the ball in her shoulder really) ...so, not the same thing but close.  She's been doing accupuncture with great results til last time... while she was there, her arm seized and she's lost all of the motion she gained.  Three days later she can still only do half what she could before... so its getting better, but its not there yet.    She did find a bunch of different heating pads that can be worn on amazon...  search for therapy neck wrap and...
I don't know why, but I made honeyed/sugared almonds with the kids...(part of an A snack...  ).  I thought I made just enough for the kids but there are a bunch left over.  They're looking at me....  I WILL resist them.... 
revolting -- can i come be part of your family?  those all sound awesome!! (are you a bravewriter follower by chance?)  And, what is a family hootenany?
I don't browse the threads as often as I used to, but I will totally join your challenge!! :)   I've always tried to eat real foods (whole grains, no processed stuff, no white sugar) since having kids (4 - ages 2, 4, 6, 8), but that totally slipped since the holidays.  There are just so many fun - and sugar - related things to do around the holidays and it was BAD....  My health totally nose-dived (I wasn't sick, just wasn't well, iykwim).  Not sure if it was because I...