or Connect

Posts by EviesMom

I try to find settings where it's safe for the kids to explore in an age appropriate way without me hovering over them, but it's not a daily philosophy for us based on where we live. IE-Visiting relatives, there was a safe area for kids to bike in groups and individually. Adults would help them out if needed in terms of falls, but generally it was all kids. DD learned to ride without training wheels and wanted to take off with her new friends. I felt that was fine in...
So, we homeschool with a bit of a waldorf slant. We do less TV than average. I think smart phones are fantastic.    I guarantee you that with no phones, no electronic games other than Simon and the gigantic Atari, which we were not lugging around in vehicles and restaurants, I had literally 10x the screentime that my kids do. And not good stuff either. Adult shows over my head and things too scary for me to handle. Stuff that just played in front of me, not things I...
Hey, I love that site! :) 2.5 year olds are HARD! Not that my 3.5 isn't hard too, but I can make stuff and he's actually interested. He has a big sister who is VERY into fancy lunches though. I didn't do up the lunches til she got into it at probably 4.   I've taken pictures of our lunches and put them on one of those lunch pics sites before. We also only have to make a "pack lunch" once a week, so we tend to do it up relatively speaking. Still, the max is something...
Quote: Originally Posted by RomanGoddess  To those who have suggested in their posts that whether a child is breastfed or formula fed, sleep-trained or not, etc. makes absolutely no difference at all 10 or however many years down the road, I have a question:   Really?  Do you really believe this?  Not that it's not a legit or reasonable opinion, I'm just wondering why you would choose to breastfeed, co-sleep, AP, etc. if you don't think it will make a...
I wouldn't use kids behavior in public as a measuring stick, because of pressure on the kids. I do use their overall behavior in a variety of places and at  variety of times to gauge my parenting effectiveness. When they get badly behaved at particular times of day or in particular circumstances, I look to change behavior or situation.   Oh, and that's all based on knowing where that specific kid was before behavior-wise, not an arbitrary standard of good...
I agree with you that her statement was offensive, but I think what SAHMs are trying to say when they say this is "I love spending all day with my children and meeting their daily needs myself." Honestly, some women would love to do this and can't, and some would hate to do it and would prefer to work at something else. (SAHMs are doing work too, despite not getting paid for their efforts.)  
  I have heard that said about dads who are uninvolved, actually. Not simply because they're working at all, but when they work long hours/have weeks-long business trips, or go out doing leisure activities sans kids atop crazy work schedules. But you're right, 98% of that complaint falls on moms.     Anyway, I've worked, I've SAH. We eat some junk food and fast food, but we're also vegetarian. I had one kid with horrible childhood cavities and one without (the better...
We have the ride safer vest and plan on getting one for DS soon as well. Hoping to find a deal, because it is spendy. DD is able, at 7, to buckle herself in and get herself back out. It looks more complicated than it is, because they put buckles on both sides so it works with a shoulder belt coming from the left or from the right. She and DS race right now to buckle/unbuckle from her vest and his radian. Takes about the same amount of time for them! :)  
Breastfed all of us, early (2 months I think) solids and some bottles when parents were going out. (that I remember bc I would bottlefeed my baby brother). No CIO here! I remember my mother sitting outside my baby brothers room (first in his bed, then a few nights later holding his hand, then in the room, then in the hall, til he was used to sleeping alone). I've only heard a baby CIO once, and DH and I made an excuse and quickly left the house. Now I say to relatives that...
I think you handled it fine. You're going to be surprised by stuff sometimes and not comment on every interaction. It's okay. When you saw what was going on, you stepped in. If your child is knocked down again, you could try to keep him closer to you/out of the path of the big kids, or just watch closer and pick him up if big kids are running around or warn them to be careful. I don't think you need to yell at them, but next time, you can catch them before they knock...