or Connect

Posts by EviesMom

We use sticker charts, though they don't get anything beyond the stickers. With 1-2-3, you aren't supposed to work on a ton of things and get stickers or rewards forever, just when a behavior is new and before it beomes routine/habit. I think of it more as a cue-ing system or reminder list than rewards per say. It's not so different from my chores list, which I don't find punitive or destructive to personal motivation. Just keeps the task at hand front and center. Most of...
I would ask about her overall statistics, look at that in context of her total births (our midwife had her only loss with a baby 4 months before our home birth. Out of her 800+ births, that didn't seem unreasonable to me). Also, cord accident, one which from my understanding often isn't foundcahead of time and causes death with hospital births too. I was comfortable with how she handled emergencies. The birth was fine, although ds had to be hospitalized at 2 weeks old w...
I think some of the summer stuff has to do with changing of seasons and different opportunities just as much as it does school type events. Sports classes finish up for the year, girl/boy/spiral scouts finishes, etc. And at least here, there are craft days in the park, more kids to play with, my kids were super excited the day they turned the water on in the playground water features (they consider it a sign of summer starting).
Ah yes, choose/chose.   There's also loose/lose. I see that one frequently online. "What do you have to loose?" 
Didn't take that test, but have taken many before, both on paper and online. INTJ. That would be a fun one to do as a poll.
I agree with everybody else. 2 is a hard age. (Sorry to say, but 3 is as well). But they grow, and it certainly doesn't preclude homeschooling.   I have a 7 year old I've been homeschooling 2 years and a 3 year old who goes to preschool. I am just starting to homeschool him this summer, as he's interested and has the capacity to focus on activities more now. He'll go back to preschool 3 days/week for next school year though. It gives me some time to work with DD...
Interestingly, DD has been dealing with plantar warts and we've been seeing a podiatrist, because home stuff wasn't working. He's been using something with the same acid as aspirin (I think), but stronger. Its working, hoorah!   But he also said that you don't technically have to treat every wart. The goal of the treatment is to irritate your skin so that your body will recognize the virus causing the warts as a virus/foreign. When it does, your body gets rid of all...
Wow! The facebook thing is wacky. I can't comment there, because I refuse to connect the two, as apparently do most of the people who used to be MDC regulars. I think it's a dangerous position for Mothering to let such comments remain up on their FB page. FB is not a discussion forum. It is generally, by corporations, politicians, and magazines, moderated heavily to show only the official company positions. I don't think most FB-knowledgable people would be offended by...
If he really wants to buy you a crib, I would suggest getting one that can be used as a toddler bed and maybe even one that transitions to a headboard and footboard for a twin bed. If you use it as a crib, that will be great, but if you never feel the need for it, you won't worry about wasting money on a crib because you'll certainly want to use it as a bed for a toddler or older child.    That said, I went crib-less with one child, which was fine, but found a crib...
I think how much you like each kid varies day to day and age to age, and I don't think it's a problem. My first nursed like crazy, didn't sleep sound, and was clingy. Second I had early to bed and to rise (opposite of family schedules), sound sleep, and nice spaced nursings. For a while, I "liked" the cuddly newborn more than the big kid, who I still loved, but who was dealing with typical tantrum stage.   Then #2 got big enough to get into stuff, and he is a...