or Connect

Posts by mpeel

I have to go back to work outside the home. I am not making enough typing at home. Also, some recent health scares with my DH have made me realize now that my children are older, I need to think of all of us and not just them. I have always relied on DH for insurance and retirement. We have life insurance but it wouldn't carry me that far. Anyway, how do you decide what to do when you return to the work force. I was a legal assistant for years. But, aside from not...
The chicks were in the chicken house when the snake got them. We saw snakes daily once we got chickens. Now we see one a month, maybe. But, the snakes were good for the mice population. We did not have mice that summer and fall. Any suggestions on books or websites on building a better house. Maybe that is our issue. I am not sure you can make anything snake proof, but maybe. I mean they get in houses, why not chicken houses? Do peacocks eat the same bugs? ...
We did not find locking them up helped with snakes. A snake got in and at 15 chicks one night. But maybe I need to investigate a more secure house for them. Also, we need them free range for the bugs. The ticks are awful this year. Since we have finally gotten rain, the misquitoes are the worst I have ever seen them. I got 11 bites in 5 minutes tonight at the grill. I guess I am going to have to start putting the Quit Buggin Me lotion on each day now. I am about to...
Check out the off the grid forum. I asked about keeping cool without AC. We are in the deep South and are doing without this summer. Thankfully it has been a cool summer. But, it can still get warm in here. The humidity has been unbearable some days. If you can, cook outside for all meals. I have an oven outside and a grill. Open all windows and put fans in them at night. Close them all in the a.m. but leave the fans running. Moving air feels cooler. If...
We have had chickens in the past but between snakes and hawks, they did not last long. However, they lasted long enough to realize how great they are as pest exterminators and the snakes also rid us of mice. What do you suggest for helping keep our chickens alive and not just provide food for other wildlife?
Ok, 10 or whatever but still, that's a lot of time for damage from the Dursleys. I just wonder though. At least, that's what has been on my mind lately. I have not read any of the books in about a year.
I think a lot of questions may be answered in this next book. I am reading HBP again so I am ready. One thing I wonder is if the Dursley were so awful to Harry, how is it he is so good? He maintains wonderful friendships, he easily sees bad from good (knowing Malfoy was bad from day one), etc. Nature over nurture, I suppose? But 13 years of bad treatment seem a lot for even the best of nature to get over.
What about getting a little wading pool. I know it is not quite the same but at least it would be safer. Or, can you dig your own water hole. Grit magazine has a good article on that this month. http://www.grit.com/article/2007/07/Swimming-Hole.html
Actually, I have been investigating this as our duct work needs replacing. Instead, we considered window units. But, it is just too hot here. However, something I did find out was it is actually better to have a smaller than needed unit because the larger unit will cool too fast and not remove the humidity. It will then shut off since it is cool. But, quickly, it will realize it is humid and run again, starting the cycle all over. A smaller one will run longer to get...
I played in a city drainage ditch my entire childhood. All we worried about was snakes and glass. However, knowing what I know now, I am not sure I would do it, especially in rural areas. Cow fields here are spread with commericial chicken manure from commerical chicken houses. I know what goes into that feed. I just can't imagine what is in the poop, YK? Plus the chemicals people here use to kill ants, weeds, launder their clothes, etc. My girls can play in our big...