or Connect

Posts by BeanMama

My DS was 2yrs4mos when his first sister was born and the labor was so fast that my mom couldn't get to us in time to take him away so yes he was right there when she came out.  In the end I thought it was very sweet for him that he was there, especially because he had participated in all midwife appointments so he was very aware of some aspects of pregnancy and was already calling himself a midwife.  But we hadn't discussed very many details about the birthing process...
Thank you, Melissa. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it more fully.  And btw, welcome to MDC!!   
Answering my own question...   I called my midwife this morning before my swim and she told me that putting the support hose back on after my swim would not be especially harmful but it would certainly not be as beneficial as when I wear it nonstop from before I get out of bed in the morning. She did say that because of my ongoing and increasing swelling and soreness there is still some benefit to wearing them in this mid-day circumstance, so that's what I...
I am in my 6th month of pregnancy #4 and for the first time I am experiencing an issue with aching varicose veins in one of my legs.  My midwife took one look and said: support hose!  which made me cringe but now I am so grateful, the stocking is really helping a lot.  Now I am not as sore all day long.  When I take it off at night I literally watch my veins puff up and turn very purple and start to ache.  Ugh. My question: what if I need to take off the stocking...
Eat bananas! (that's for potassium) Now that I am swimming every week (pre-natal swim class, so great!) I have been boosting my banana intake because I remember getting a lot of nighttime cramps during my first 2 pregnancies, especially after an "exercise" day. So far, I've only had one cramp this time around. I'm doing more proactive gentle stretching too, as a pp mentioned, but definitely bananas!
You're just getting that now on your 3rd?! Lucky you!! I had it with all 3 pregnancies and even sometimes in-between! The worst is when I've had headcolds, and also we laugh a lot around here at the silly antics of my 2 kids. So basically, I use a lot of pantyliners during my first and third trimesters, and all the time I make sure to stop and cross my legs and *squeeze!* when I am out walking and feel a sneeze coming on. It sure is a good impetus to get me...
Good for you for thinking about this now, for being aware of it and trying to articulate it. No doubt your feelings will shift around plenty, thanks to hormones and also this huge change coming in your life. But it helps to be aware and honest about your feelings. When my DD was born, everyone was so "helpful" taking care of her 2.5yo big brother so I would have alone time with the new baby that I felt left out of a lot of activities. He would come home from these...
Just to add... if you are inclined to a side-car crib setup and want to minimize your purchases, a crib will "last" longer than any size of cosleeper. Especially if you get the kind that converts into future bed frames. A crib is sturdier and has higher sides, both of which were concerns for us as DS got bigger and bigger in his cosleeper. A note about the sidecar set-up... if you plan to nurse the baby in their bed while still lying in yours, you should choose whatever...
I never used a crib at all. I don't think we planned it that way from the outset but we grew into realizing that we just didn't need one. We used the Arms Reach Universal CoSleeper for DS (although he mostly slept in our full-sized bed anyway) then we moved him right into a toddler bed adjacent to ours when he outgrew the cosleeper. When DD was born we set up the cosleeper again, and moved DS's toddler bed to DH's side. We were basically one big swath of beds. ...
I was still nursing my 28mo DS when DD was born, and I don’t recall nearly as much pain nursing him through that pregnancy as I am having nursing her through this one. My nipples are in agony with any direct contact, especially nursing, and I am sure that my milk is gone -- I painfully attempted to “check” twice and couldn’t squeeze out a single drop. At 27mos, DD seems not to care that the milk is gone, she just loves sucking. One comment about colostrum, I have...