or Connect

Posts by HWBMama

The Consumer Product Safety Commission And AngelCare Monitors have recalled all monitors. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Angelcare-Recalls-to-Repair-Movement-and-Sound-Baby-Monitors-After-Two-Deaths/  Two babies have lost their lives getting tangled and strangled on the cord that connects to the sensory pad. My heart is broken for these angels and their families. If you currently have an AngelCare monitor make sure you get the repair kit that they are offering.
In hopes of reducing elective inductions, increase spontaneous labor, and set better expectations for pregnant women, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have redefined and relabeled the ending weeks of pregnancy. At 37 weeks women are no longer considered "full term." Find the new term categories here. Read more As we all know healthy babies are born on both sides of the due date bell curve - 37 weeks and 43 weeks - and it really doesn't matter what...
A new study observed the brains of mamas and women without children and concluded that smelling a newborn has a lot of physiological effect, most notable in the brain. It's theorized that evolution is to blame for our delicious smelling babies, in that they needed a way to make their parents care for them. Smelling my baby certainly helps with my let down reflex! What does smelling your baby do for you?
Childbirth Connection is a non-profit organization that aims to "improve the quality and value of maternity care through consumer engagement and health system transformation" (from their Mission Statement).  Today they released the results of a U.S. survey of mothers who gave birth in a one year period (July 1, 2011- June 31, 2012) to singles in hospitals only.    Their Facebook page highlighted and graphed some of the results like this one below showing a clear...
I agree with the above comments.  None of the U.S. medical organizations are going to provide the support or understanding that homebirthing moms deserve.  But we are seeing more statements like this being released little by little from different organizations as the homebirthing community grows.  I like to look at it as a positive step!   Also,  it was difficult for me to find a Pediatrician for my homebirthed daughter.  As soon as I mentioned my birthing plans...
A news article released by American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists sums a study that was released yesterday by the Beth Israel Medical Center in New York which researched the adverse effects of Pitocin on newborns.       What are your thoughts on these recent findings?
The American Academy of Pediatrics released a new policy today stating that Pediatricians should support a mother's decision to birth from home.   In the same policy they do state that the AAP's stance remains that hospitals and birthing centers are the safer locations for birth and that home birth risks should be discussed.  An interview from Reuters quotes a Certified Nurse Midwife as saying this in response:     She also goes on to say that the AAP neglects to talk...
Cyllya - I totally get your point and that's how I felt about it at first too.  However you have to wonder why, when checking on your milk supply at home is free (weigh baby, check diaper output) would they capitalize on a common fear women have?  They do refer women to LC or doctors if there calculator suspects a “low” supply, but no where do they make the disclaimer that the majority of women do not pump as much as their baby can nurse.  I would have overly full leaky...
UpSpring Baby came out with a product called Milkscreen Breast Milk Production Test and it threw Moms in a tizzy on social media.  The test requires the mom to pump milk and record amounts.  This "calculator" would tell the mom if she is producing low, normal, or high amounts of breast milk.   Well, you can imagine what happened next.  A facebook group popped up called Mothers Against Milkscreen Breastfeeding Assessment Test and they gained 1500 followers in less than a...
I practiced it very seldom.  I would set my 9 month old on the potty every morning and if she peed I would overly get excited and give her hugs and try to show her why I was getting excited.  I got out of practice from doing this for a few months and now that she is 19 months I am trying to go back to it.  It is harder now though because she'll sit down and then just run away!  I wish I would have stuck with it.  I think I could have a "potty-trained" 1 year old if I...