or Connect

Posts by demeter888

I don't sense that he's at all introverted.  But he has shown signs of greater sensitivity than I expected him to in the past few weeks.  His aunt also came to visit yesterday and he wanted nothing to do with her.  He is pretty fine around men and children, but doesn't seem to like women right now.  He was never shy before and always loved everyone.  I am starting to suspect his swim class has something to do with it.  They have done a very poor job of transitioning...
Grover,   I found out about this thread over at another thread.  I have read some of the first and last message you posted but lately don't have the focus to take on this much detail.  As the matter of fact I'm in my third trimester and took some dramamine this evening to help with my own insomnia:-)   I just want to weigh in my experience and hope there is something in it that you haven't tried.     I have a history of anxiety and depression.  I was...
mpjj,   I think you have it really, really, really tough.  Focus on one, not more than two,  things you can definitely change, because only you know what these things are and where the priority lies.  Aside from the difficulty of your kids behavior, to me you sound like you might be suffering from depression/exhaustion.  There are treatments for it and if you get desperate enough it won't matter what they are; I have been to that point.   Second, you mentioned...
I am tired and have not read the other replies.  My opinion is that you are a human being and need a break.  You have a bad temper.  You know it's a problem.  You're very brave to come here of all places; but here is where I often find the most honesty and support on issues like this.   You would best benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy to train your brain how redirect your behavior when you reach your snapping point.  I used to yell at my husband. A lot. I...
Mamazee,   I just think outside the box when it comes to the choice of words, for starters.  I think kids need to learn consequences of their behavior, good or bad.  I think this is part of teaching them.  If my toddler throws his toy on the floor when he is in his high chair more than once, he doesn't get it back while he is in his high chair.  Some might call it a punishment.  I call it preparing him for the real, cruel world I can't shield him from forever and try...
Erin,  You might ask about a sleep study.  Whether he has a sleep apnea related to a physical problem or a brain issue that is severely affecting his sleep patterns, it could make sorting out his symptoms all the more easy to establish.       Maybe somebody who has been down this avenue can weigh in on how helpful it is.  At this point it does sound very possible that there is more than one thing going on and a process of careful elimination is going to take time and...
OK, so there are two issues.  One, you feel like they should come visit you.  Two, you feel concerned whether travel is a good idea.   Regarding issue two: I think if you are breastfeeding and babywearing that travel like you describe should not be incredibly hard at 5-6 weeks pp.  I would be more concerned about the long visit with people you're not exactly over the moon for.  Which leads me back to issue one:  I think that they should come visit you and the fact...
  These mamas are seriously sensitive about children doing CIO. It was a hard place to initiate the thread but it turned out to be good.   I was the most reactive mom I have ever seen in terms of how I would react to my son's crying when he was an infant; I would borderline freak out when he cried.  NO, I actually did freak out a few times, like got absolutely, completely hysterical when he fell off the bed at four months, and was not injured but cried loudly.     Luckily...
  My mom is from a poor southern family and thinks all "normal" Americans curse like they do in reality shows.  She tried explaining that to my husband but he wasn't buying it.  It's just amazing how our ability to identify a cultural vs. a family issue seems to validate or invalidate our feelings about a particular quirk we have in our own behavior.  Like, if everybody is doing it, then it's somehow valid.  In the end I guess you and I get to decide for ourselves what we...
  Isn't it great how growing up more two cultures facilitates more objective introspection?  DH also comes from a very group oriented culture.  I too have had plenty of therapy and self analysis with a family with its own extensive (no less dysfunctional) issues that go well beyond cultural difference.  I have been taking care of my own food and laundry since I was 8 or 9; DH now thinks this is how all American families are.  He has no American friends!   As my son gets...