or Connect

Posts by PennyRoo

I notice you live in Hawaii - I am on the other side of the US (Rhode Island), but what we both have in common is proximity to beaches!  Seaweed is a wonderful fertilizer.  I gather it by the bucketful and use it as mulch under the straw in my veggie garden, but you can also put it in a large container, cover it with water, and wait until the water turns into a brownish sludge.  If you add some fish emulsion it is a perfect fertilizer, but I think even without it is...
Thanks!  And SweetSilver, you win - I'm killing some grass and expanding a flower garden, and at the same time need to build up the soil as there's a bit of a slope.  I decided to lay the doormat on the grass and cover it with mulch - just hope it will break down.   
Do you like arugula?  It is super fast growing - you can direct=sow it into the ground and your seeds will sprout up about 48 hours later.  You can harvest about 42 days later.  It is easy and satisfying.  It's my absolute favorite green, and I've decided to try to grow it all winter under a cold frame.  You can keep sowing it all summer long, every few weeks - it doesn't really mind the cold so you can really have a long harvest, esp if you build a cold frame or some...
Hello!  Are we all so busy in our gardens we've not had time to post?  I know I have been!  I built 2 new raised beds from a gross old patio - dug up the pavers and used them to create the beds.  I had to do a lot to replenish the soil since it was lying fallow under concrete pavers for who knows how long.  I ended up filling one with 2 blueberry bushes, underplanted with strawberry bushes, and the other bed is my leafy greens bed, currently housing 3 kale plants, about...
Hello! My doormat is kind of sodden and falling apart.  I'm thinking it is a similar material to that used to line hanging baskets - coir? Something dense and a natural material?  I had the thought that I could cut it into strips and either compost it, or kind of tuck it discreetly into my garden behind plants where it might decompose, add to the soil and possibly hold moisture/act as a mulch?   Am I barking up a wierd tree here?  Has anyone else tried something...
We have a bit of a similar situation with our next door neighbor (I'll call him NB for neighbor boy).  NB is the same age as my DD and while his mother is not neglectful or abusive in any sense that would trigger CPS, she yells and screams at him constantly, alternately ignores and then rages at him, and says things like "you are a bad boy - why can't you be good like (my DD)."  She's also a single mother and goes out partying a lot, and seems to look for occasions to...
Erin 121, what a great smile your son has.  Love the exuberant garden nestled up to sidewalk.  Cameragirl, wow, thanks for posting those.  It was cool to see your corn next to the chickens!  You've really packed a lot of productivity into that space! (I guess this is for another thread, but do you move the coop around at all?) Is that your only corn patch?  How much does that yield?  I've thought of packing my sidewalk strip with corn.  You have cool examples of...
  Wow - - curious, what geographic area is this?  I'm in coastal southern New England  -- - desert climates are so trippy to me, a born and bred New Englander.  Even more interesting to me is the thought of gardening (apart from xeriscaping (sp?) and native plants) in such an inhospitable climate . . . though I guess that's a topic for another thread!  
It would be cool if people would consider posting some pictures, once gardens are up and running.  I'm always so inspired by people who strive to pack in as much as possible into small urban spaces!  There's something so hopeful about it.
I've had 2 births, 1 with epi and 1 with no pain relief.    For DD1, I labored without pain meds and then received an epi @ 8 cm dilated.  I had the epi in place for the pushing, which frankly terrified me, so it was perfect having pain relief for that part.  When I got the epi, I was in so much pain I was crawling in circles, biting the sheets and vomiting.  I felt completely out of control.  After receiving the epi, I felt nothing and was able to completely focus...