or Connect

Posts by Kavita

Our kitchen has terribly ugly yellow formica-type countertops. Short of replacing all the counters (which we are not going to do because of expense--eventually the original 50s metal cabinets really need to go too) is there anything to do that can make them nicer looking? It's like a thin sheet of the formica over particleboard.
Quote: Originally Posted by oneKnight My kitchen table needs moving somehow. THere are very limited ways to put it, because of space, but I HATE to sit down and eat at it unless DH is there then I will sit with him. I'm not sure exactly what I hate about it, maybe because I'm sitting there about 3' from the wall just staring at the wall? The wall is cluttered because that's where our corkboard is, but I wouldn't move that and I don't think clutter is the...
All I have to say about this, having moved a year and a half ago--is GAH! That's a lot of moving and transition!!! I guess if you are military or something and it's just part of your lifestyle it might be a teeny bit easier or simpler or less disruptive to move that much--but I know for me with our sort of unplanned (and frankly, undesired) move that it was really hard. also, your kids are at that age where they change so frequently (going from two naps to one, giving...
Slightly off topic--but I watched "The Object of My Affection" the other night for the first time. It was made in 1998, starring Jennifer Aniston as a woman who becomes best friends/roommates with a gay man, (Paul Rudd) and then she gets pregnant with her sorta-boyfriend and wants to parent with the BF. It was so weird, because there were three sort of minor characters there that are now major characters on Grey's/Private Practice. The woman who plays Sydney the chipper...
It's funny that you posted this because I have been thinking a lot about this lately. (spring cleaning, not sex, lol! ) I have a different theory/insight about spring cleaning based on my recent experience--we had an ice storm that caused a week-long power outage. We have a gas log fireplace in the living room, and we used that for heat the whole week--we don't use it much the rest of the time. We taped up some plastic sheets (painting drop cloths) over the...
Still here (at least sort of!) after a long time! Remember how I told y'all that my furnace broke and we had to spend $700 to fix it that was supposed to go toward our credit card? Well, last week we had a huge ice storm and our power was then out for 6 days. : Ironic, huh? Eventually, we will probably buy a generator for situations such as this--our neighborhood is full of old trees, so anytime there is any sort of weather event we're guaranteed to get hit...
Theresa, Hope that you will be able to bring him home this weekend. He does have such an intelligent look--seems very aware and present even though he does look a bit groggy--I've been thinking about you guys and wishing you well. Hope that you'll have some good news any day!!! On another topic, I am largely offline because our power is out due to a ice storm. Might be 7-10 days to get it restored. But I'll check in as I'm able!
Okay--my sperm donor is my husband so this is really a different situation than yours. However, since part of what you're asking is about having a biracial child, I can give you my perspective as a parent of one (and the aunt of two others.) I am Caucasian and my husband is from India. My sister's DH is half African American/half Korean. So I think I can draw upon her experience as well as my own and that of other friends of mine when I say that people (strangers) DO...
Quote: Originally Posted by HoneyTree Thanks again, mamas. We got a good dose of good news today, and the end is in sight, so we're just showing up and smiling and cooing and trusting in the baby's body to work through what he's got to work through. I'm so glad!!!! I was feeling a little worried earlier and wondering what is going on with him--haven't gotten the whole story, etc. (and then it got all mixed up with some emotional stuff of my...
Well, as I mentioned previously we sold our fridge, which got us $950. : The money was deposited in our checking account, and we were going to send it off to the credit card in a week (waiting a bit because of a cash flow issue.) So of course, we got a visit from Murphy and our furnace broke yesterday afternoon! : Waited for DH to get home at 6:30 or so to see if he could figure out what the problem was and fix it. Then we got the guy out for a service call ($89),...