or Connect

Posts by Kavita

We did some removing of vinyl asbestos tile, so I did a bunch of reading about abestos removal, and from my understanding popcorn can also have asbestos. And that the key is to get it wet, and KEEP it wet until it is safely removed. The asbestos particles are lighter than air and so they will float around and can be inhaled, unless they are wet. We also ventilated well with an open window, a fan blowing out, and taped plastic around all the heating vents so that it...
Sounds like a good decision to me, especially right now. I'm in a little bit of freaking out mode and wanting to get the h*ll out of debt ASAP and start accumulating some serious emergency $$, esp. since we just got a notice from Citibank that they are raising (as in more than doubling!!) our interest rate!!! Not related to anything on our part--our credit is excellent and in fact we've paid a whole chunk of money to them recently, never had a late payment, etc. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ksenia llamalluv, your advice is very sound. I don't have any financial software, that's why I was interested in mint.com, which is free and automatically links up to our accounts which are online. I guess I thought that could save a lot of time but I certainly am no expert. I was also interested in mvelopes.com, but that costs money.I agree. It's just that so many other things are important too . Part of how I got into this...
I don't have a really comprehensive update right now. I withdrew cash and have been using that for groceries and food for most of the month. (I've started doing some postpartum doula work and the hours have been a little unpredictable, and so I've grabbed fast food or something to drink on the run a couple of times in the last week. But no major planned dinners out, either. And the extra income makes it worthwhile.) I need to sit down and work on the...
I just roasted a chicken the other night--it was tasty! A few other hints (more culinary than frugality related): 1. Make sure the whole thing is defrosted and pretty even temps, in the inside of the chicken cavity also. Otherwise you'll end up with dry inedible chicken on the outside by the time the inside cooks. Generally when roasting meats it's recommended to have them out of the fridge for a bit (like half an hour or so) so that they have a chance to come...
Yes--I actually have hired someone in the past to help organize. She helped me evaluate the storage situation, go through a bunch of things in the garage and get rid of a bunch or find homes for other stuff. She helped me to consider issues like, should I keep these towels or get rid of them? How many towels do I need, anyway? I'm fairly organized myself, but we had just moved across country to this new house and were still trying to fit into it! I've also helped...
Haven't watched the british version, only the american one. It is kind of gross, but they are so hilarious!! I'd love to read a book by them!
Happy Birthday Jen!!!! : Hope you're having a great day, and have a great party for Ellie tomorrow!! I wrote a big fat long post yesterday but encountered some annoying technical difficulty and lost it. : I can't believe that things are going this badly with all technical systems right now!! DH can't copy my hard drive, so we're just going to have to ship the whole computer out and hope for the best. And the old computer that was hooked up to the TV crapped out...
It's funny, I was just talking with DH about this the other day. I watched this show, and I've also been watching lots of episodes of "How Clean is Your House?" and sort of lamenting that if you are enough of a complete cluttery filthy slob you can get somebody to clean and declutter and organize your house for you on TV and give you free stuff!! On the latter, they have the person whose house it is declutter and teach them some cleaning techniques, then send them away...
Woo hoo! My computer situation is okay!!! : DH called HP and although the computer is 39 days out of warranty, they are going to fix it for free because there is some kind of recall! Yay! And in the meantime, we still had my old laptop sitting around somewhere--the screen was the part that had broken but apparently the rest is okay and we were able to hook up the laptop to the TV with a monitor cable and now my TV is serving as a giant external monitor. : Of course...