or Connect

Posts by Serafina33

The same thing happened to me.  I had two kids at age 23 & 25, from a size 0/2, and during the 5 years of continuous breastfeeding, pregnancy while breastfeeding, tandem nursing, and finally just nursing the younger one, I could not shake off the last ten or fifteen pounds to save my life.  Then I divorced and stopped nursing the youngest (at the time) when he was 3, and at 28, almost 29, the weight just fell off and I was thin again!  And single and dating, so that was...
I can understand where you are coming from.  Hugs to you mama, you just want to do your best by your kids.  I have never had my kids vaxed, they are 8 and 10, but with the new baby, I'm not so sure that she will be 100% non-vaxed.  Her big brothers are so integrated into the community with school, and they frequent the gym their dad owns, and they are just out there getting exposed to every darned thing and bringing it home.  I don't worry about them, because they are so...
The rotavirus is at least not a shot but I think since we have school aged kids and their friends coming in and being around the baby, the risk is very high of her getting it and the thought of her being hospitalized isn't nice. It seems pretty rare for the known side effect to happen. I dunno. Never took any vaccines with my sons but it was easy to decide when were little, breastfed, home with me and not really mixing with society in any huge way. Having siblings in...
Is the ONLY right way (to continue the nursing relationship beyond infancy) to nurse a 3 year old anywhere, anytime, in the midst of any activity, with only the desires of the child taken into account? Is it ever ok to defer a nursing request to the next convenient time for mom/rest of family? I feel that approach is more likely to turn off moms to the entire concept of extended breastfeeding, feeling like theyll be nursing in every single scenario they will ever be in...
for my kids, snuggling in my lap & my attention via a verbal exchange +caresses was more than enough in that type of scenario. I didn't say the OP shouldn't nurse that it was bad to do so, only that in that situation I would skip it.
I'd like to point out that my opinions are coming from someone who does practice and support extended nursing, even nursing in public at whatever age. And they are discussing this particular situation, given the entire backdrop of her isolated position in a foreign country. My opinions also come from someone who knows what it is like to live in a foriegn country where you do not speak the language, and where you struggle with feeling isolated at home with little ones as...
exactly, apeydef. They've been starved for friends and this new mama friend & her kids have made a huge and positive difference in their lives. Why not focus on their company when they get to see them? To me, nursing a 3year old is wonderful. It's so special and intimate, a beautiful way to bond and connect, relax, and to soothe my child in a way that leaves him/her totally blissed out and enveloped in the secure feeling of mom's love. A lovely way to end the day...
I nursed four years w DS1 including tandem nursing when DS2 was born. I definitely believe in extended breastfeeding. I don't think an infant's need to be fed is the same as a 3 year old's desire to comfort nurse. An infant needs to be breastfed often, and a three year old can take a few hours off the breast and get a hug and a smile (& solid food!) instead sometimes. I still hug and caress my kids in public when they want affection and attention, and they are 8 and10....
I'll have a couple of glasses of wine every few weeks and my baby is under 3 months. I think having a relaxed, calm, happy attitude in general is more important to my baby than a tiny bit of alcohol crossing into her milk once or twice a month.
Reading this stuff can make you very sad. I was breastfed for two years(early eighties). I enjoy great health and a great immune system and I feel grateful to my mom. My fiance was born in 77 & also was exclusively breastfeed for the first half year and not really sure about his weaning schedule after that, but regardless, he was a fat, healthy, breastfed infant who grew off the charts as a baby, so I'm happy to see those baby pics and know his body got such a great start...