or Connect

Posts by cbwilke

Shared the giveaway on my Facebook wall! Catherine Bedford
I did  not realize that hemp is grown without chemicals - great! Hoping to win!
Was hoping to review the Moraki diaper but can't get it to come up in the review options, thanks :-)
"Really? You want to equate vaccines which are an invasive medical procedure that has the potential to cause harm, including death to indoor plumbing? Not really much to say there......"   Marnica - I appreciate that you took the time to read and consider my post. You have misstated my point. I said that vaccines and indoor plumbing are both lifesaving advances of the 20th century. This is a fact, look it up if this was not part of your schooling. You say...
I can't imagine the pain of having a child with autism. At this point science and medicine have not discovered what causes autism. I think that saying we don't know is better than guessing or buying junk science. Vaccines are vital, one of the most lifesaving inventions of the 20th century (with indoor plumbing/sanitation). I doubt that anyone who refuses vaccines would also refuse indoor plumbing (although I could probably mock up a study linking it's use to the...
You're welcome tinyhousemama!  I was worried that feeding shells would cause them to eat their own eggs but it hasn't. We make sure that the shells are cleaned out well when we use the eggs. Leave them all in an open bowl on the counter. When we have enough, I grind them in the food processor, but crushing in a bag would work just as well. Found that some of the hens were being picky and refusing to eat them, so we sprinkle some in their feed once in a while in...
I love frugal tips, here's another. Spend money on exercise - this may be expensive on the front end, but then we always have ready activities for "free" when the kids want to do something, are bored, or just driving us crazy :-) We relocated to the Pacific NW last year and invested in some starter kayaks. Also joined the YMCA of course (shout out to the Y - yay!). A few of the kids trained over the spring and summer for sprint triathlons, were so proud when they...
Another frugal tip - be aware of companies that are based in your area. When we move I always check on this and ask new neighbors or co workers for tips. I try to get on email lists or Facebook pages for these local companies so I receive notice when they are having warehouse sales. Have been able to get many beautiful clothes for the kids and bedding at not much more than thrift prices.  The kid clothes can then be sold to the local resale shop for not much less...
I liked both pages and shared :-)
Frugal tip #3 :-)   Save money on vacations/travel by thinking outside the box! We love to vacation, but like many families need to be mindful of our budget. Over the past few years we have started to investigate alternatives to hotels. We still use them, but have also found great deals on condos, houses, etc online, typically saving up to half the price of hotels. Staying someplace with a kitchen also allows us to eat most of our meals in, saving a bundle in...