or Connect

Posts by nenegoose

What kind of trouble with practical language is he having?  My DD who started reading early had numerous quirks that could have been interpreted as signs of autism. She also went through a phase where she couldn't stop talking about the same topic over and over and she drove everyone crazy. She grew out of these quirks by her 3rd birthday and I was never concerned about autism as she was socially precocious and could read subtle cues from others but I do wonder if there...
  I ended up returning the violin after 2 months because it felt so bulky and heavy to me. I think I need a lighter violin and will pick one up when I find the right one. When & if I start working more hours, it might be in our budget to pay for double tuition. Violin lessons are expensive around here but I'd love to continue if we can afford tuition for both of us. DD doesn't want to practice with me and prefers using her metronome but I think it's good for us to learn...
We were very fortunate with DD's teacher. We knew she had good teaching skills since she runs string program at two elementary schools and it's not easy to land a job like that where we live. What really made us choose her over other teachers was her performance. It's hard to put it into words but when I heard her play, I knew she was it and I was beyond thrilled when she was willing to work with DD. She's been very patient about DD's behaviors (silly and goofy before she...
moominmama, thank you for your kind words. I might have spoken too soon, however. It didn't take that long for me to stop screeching and catch up to DD and she didn't like it at all that suddenly, I was the "star" student and she had fallen behind. She still kept up with the practice but oh my, the attitude. I was ready to return my violin to the store just to end the conflict but DH dug in and said this is a perfect opportunity for her to learn to cope with frustration...
Just a quick update. It's been about 7 weeks since DD had her own 1/16 violin and she not practices everyday but she practices throughout the day. I'm not sure how our neighbors are feeling about this so I try to take her to a park whenever I can and she gets her outdoor time afterwards.    It took 6 lessons to get her to do Mississippi Hotdog consistently to a metronome on all open strings and we've finally started on the first Twinkle variation. It is slow moving for...
I am not especially pro- or anti-Disney. I love some of their older movies and I am a Pixar fan. Fairy tales are still too scary for DD and she doesn't care for princess things but she loves Tinker Bell. She thinks she is Tinker Bell. The new reboot franchise version bothers DH a lot and he doesn't understand why they couldn't start a new fairy series instead but obviously, DD doesn't care about that and it's been great for her imaginative play. She builds Pixie Hallow...
From 33 to 38 months, it was as if I had lost my DD. Thankfully, she is back but I was very tempted to outsource childcare to a full-time preschool. I'm glad that we got through it but I wasn't  easy for either of us. I lost it a couple of time and said a few mean things that I wish I could take back but I've learned from my mistakes and hope to never repeat them. 
We didn't exactly elaborate on the spying part but I think whatever we said was too much. Just a few months ago, she'd have told us straight out that she was scared but instead, she buried her face on a pillow and said she was tired and then shut down. I didn't know that was her new way of showing us that she was frightened and it took some time and effort to get her to explain but yeah, now that I look back at it, I don't know why I thought she couldn't be creeped out. I...
Thank you all for sharing your perspective. I was on this "I get to finally look for DD's presents" mode that I needed to calm down a bit and reading the replies was quite helpful.    There was something about the way DD was reacting that didn't sit well with me that went beyond indifference on her part or time frame. I guess my instinct was telling me DD seemed scared, which is an odd emotion to have for Christmas.    Then, I finally realized it's the Elf on the...
DD had a great Halloween this year. She was looking forward to it since August and she participated in every planning aspect of it. I was so happy to see her excited. The day itself was magical and she was blissfully happy. Honestly, I think it was the happiest day of her life thus far.    Now, I wasn't expecting to see her be as excited about Christmas but at least I thought we could look forward to it together but no. I asked her what she thought of Santa and she says...