or Connect

Posts by Evari

My daughter is 9, we've been unschooling most of her life.   I have, as someone above me said, "mini freakouts" about her socially, mostly at her lack of "street smarts" in the social sense. Among unschooled or eclectically homeschooled kids, she's fine.   It's among traditionally schooled, especially public schooled kids, that she tends to get in trouble. Public schools here are rough socially, very hierarchical and almost a "Lord of the Flies" environment. DD...
If they're willing to try, I'd say let them try. At worst, they'll feel badly enough to come back in. At best, the cool air gets them going and some fresh air and exercise makes them feel better.   Or at least feel less bored!   My daughter would much rather feel badly outside than feel badly inside. If she's going to feel badly either way, I'd much rather her be where she's happiest!
I don't think there is an optimal spacing. I have an only child and if she's to have a sibling at all, she'll be 12+. She's almost 10 as is and I have no intent of having another right now, so for me to decide to have another, plan, and then carry through with either and adoption or a pregnancy as a single parent would be at least a couple years' process. And by that time it'd be almost like two only children, which I'm totally cool with.   IF I were to have chosen...
I hate shoes and go barefoot much of the summer. My daughter does too. She's 9, and yes, she takes her shoes off whenever she can.   She and I both carry a pair of thin flip flops in our bags, if we need to go in a store or over something dangerous, they're easy to throw on and take off again as soon as we can. We don't wear shoes in the house. During the summer if our feet are particularly filthy, there's a hose right outside our door and we can wash them...