or Connect

Posts by boongirl

Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I just don't think we need those rigid categories for parenting and interacting with other parents. We know if our kids are highly unusual in some way, we know if an issue on a thread is something we can identify with ... right? From my perspective as a parent and as a teacher, the label "gifted" is only interesting from an educational point of view and then it is only so in terms of programming. I rarely...
I've been both the pullout teacher and the classroom teacher. As the classroom teacher, I found ways to help my students meet their academic goals as best I could without giving them a boatload of homework. Sometimes, it was impossible to do, however, and I did not want my students to fall behind. If my students were pulled for something that was not their choice, like testing or esl, I never gave them makeup work. If they were pulled out for something of their...
Quote: Originally Posted by Calm The point, in summary, to make it easier: The title of the forum says gifted. Which leads one to believe ALL gifts are welcome. The sticky says gifted means intellectually gifted. The title should be changed to "parenting the intellectually gifted child". Had you done that, this may not have occurred at all. But you didn't, the title remains "gifted". therefore, you give the illusion you cater to ALL...
From the same gifted 101 page as above: Quote: Most definitions agree: gifted children are a population who have different educational needs, thanks to their unique intellectual development. What we're not so sure of, is how to identify them, and what this different education should look like. And, keep in mind, that NCLB is pretty much scorned by most people as a very poorly written act. From the same website: Quote: At this point it...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira Are you really saying that "other" gifts are more closely associated with age-specific fora? : Isn't that the very problem you guys are claiming gave rise to this place? Getting to talk about advanced abilities without offending parents of average kids? So how would that work? It's honestly coming off that you think that only your special requirements actually are special requirements, and others belong with the...
I have a challenge for those of you who object to the term gifted being the sole domain, in this forum, of intellectual/academic achievement. Go to this website: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/index.htm And write to every author of every book and article about giftedness, contact every professional organization, every school at every level, every advocacy group, and find every mention of giftedness on this website and every website linked to it, and ask them all to change...
Quote: Originally Posted by Calm These threads are testament to your idea of giftedness is at best debatable, yeah? Professionals can't even get a definition set in stone, what makes you think you can here? Professionals cannot get a definition set in stone but if you do research into the field, you will find that the differences are semantic at best. Whether you call them giftd or highly intelligent or whatever, this group is all basically...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira It seems they are saying that they don't deserve recognition,that the label of "gifted" is too special for the non-high IQ, or that others' needs aren't important to parenting exceptional children. The label gifted is the only one we have when we refer to those of high IQ, tested or not. If it is the semantics of that that bothers you, that is not a problem we can solve here. We did not make it up. We only...
Quote: Originally Posted by Calm It has been clear in this thread that this is all about academics, when gifted people, including intellectually gifteds, have other issues also. Not to mention many people homeschool which makes not only this forum's definition useless but also its scope. It is quite clear to me that one could be referring to the kind of giftedness the sticky writes about and yet not be involved in the education system. If you...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira There's the other possibility that we are actually saying that we all crave recognition of our authentic selves. It's not either on or off. I never claimed that we should all just think of people as the same, or that recognizing gifts is unnecessary. How do you get that? Once again I assert that it would be impossible to have a specific forum for so broad a category. It would be a chaotic free for all to...