or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by boongirl

Quote: Originally Posted by aira I can't see what the benefit is to sticking true to an external reductionist label. Compartmentalizing matters of mind and spirit only shows one's lack of understanding about the nature of "gifts", and IME as a gifted child in school, works directly against our needs for validation and respect. This is a very large board. 50,000 members and 20,000 active. If we lumped everyone into one large board, it would...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira Do you guys want it both ways? Do you want parents of non-intellectually gifted children to feel welcome to post here? OR do you want to stop folks from thinking that the "all kids are gifted" idea can run rampant? As far as I can see those ideas are pretty incompatible. You're talking circles. I am not sure where eilonwy is going, but when I read the sticky for this forum, a sticky that was written...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira And please show me who is unclear on this? This red herring is not helping clarify anything. I was agreeing with eilonwy. I was not writing something that is deliberately misleading and therefore it is not a red herring. But, strangely enough, red herrings are puzzles that I did often with my gifted students, as mind warmer-uppers.
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy Apparently, people who want to post about those are so offended by the sticky that all they can do is start arguments with people, rather than just trying to start threads and see if there are any takers. Yes, that is strange. And, they are taking great offense to a paradigm that is beyond the control of anyone at MDC. These definitions exist. They are not made up by any of us. Anyone doing any research...
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy Again, I'd like to differentiate between "intellectually gifted" and "academically gifted." A child who is very visual-spatial in his thought process is unlikely to be seen as "academically gifted" at all; many children with very high IQs do extremely poorly in school for various reasons. The terms academic and intelligent are often used synonymously but you are correct that many highly intelligent children do...
My birth experience was traumatic, and beautiful. It was traumatic because I had to be induced and she was in jeopardy and I had back labor and the epidural only worked on half my body and I could feel myself tearing and my tailbone breaking and I could feel her pressing on my hips and it was painful as heck. But, it was beautiful because she was born and she was healthy and I healed. When she was one, I only focused on the fact that she was one and I loved her and I...
Quote: Originally Posted by sophmama If there were a non-elitist sounding term that clearly conveyed the cognitively gifted, etc. that this forum was created for (as we were not welcome elsewhere - it's not like we started out asking for our own little tree house), I'm sure it would be re-named today. Well, maybe we could lighten the mood by making suggestions? My least favorite acronym is MGM which stands for mentally gifted minor. I got...
Quote: Originally Posted by griffin2004 I see your point, BG, but I don't understand the resistance expressed here to broadening the definition of gifted. I think the resistance comes in the intention. If you are referring to children being assessed as gifted in order for their needs to be met academically, the sticky is clear. But, if you are referring to the many ways in which can be special or unique or talented or gifted, then it is murky...
I think it happens often that there is a sticky defining what a forum is supposed to be about that then creates a lot of questions about itself. These questions are best dealt with by addressing concerns to the admin. The buck stops with CM.
Quote: Originally Posted by griffin2004 If that is the definition this forum is limited to, then it belongs in Education, not Parenting. Both the title of this forum and its grouping are out of sync with the broadening definition of gifted. You would have to take that up with the admin. Don't argue with those of us who wrote the sticky we were asked to write.
New Posts  All Forums: