or Connect

Posts by boongirl

Giftedness, when it is dealt with in schools, generally refers to academica giftedness for two reasons: there is a federal mandate that academicall advanced children be served and academic gifts are easier to identify and teach than other gifts. There are going to be more academically gifted children than other gifts to these programs are easier to fund. Being as school is mostly focused on academics, this direction makes a lot of sense. Most parents of children with...
Quote: Originally Posted by Calm I also like this quote because it is layman's terms for the difference between talented, intellectually gifted and otherwise gifted - which is the main blockage in this discussion as I see it. I can't remember who said it, though: "Talented tends to be used when referring to a particular strength or ability of a person. Thought should be given to whether the talent is truly a gift or is, rather, an ability that has...
Much as I luv ya, N'sM, I gotta call you wrong on this one. Check out this thread. In it you will see that every major organization that deals with the education of gifted children uses either the term gifted or the more generic exceptional to refer to children, and adults, with intellectual abilities of at least IQ 135. As a person with IQ 155 and one who was in a gifted program all through elementary school and one who is now a teacher of gifted kids and has been on...
As the primary author of this forum's sticky (with assistance from a few others and edited by CM), I would like to comment: Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka how come you don't qualiify it with "accidemically" gifted? it seems like whenever someone on here talks about thier gifted child said child is accademically gifted. The term "gifted" has been standardized to refer to intellectual or academic giftedness because this is the primary area...
I watch the sale racks at the local department type stores. I don't like target or Payless as their shoes stink and I wonder if they aren't toxic in some way. I've found Converse Chuck Taylor lowtops at half price ($10) and I've bought them a size ahead several times in dd's 3.5 years. I look for good buys on rubber boots, a size ahead. I buy snow boots at resale stores since she wears them so rarely. We've found Crocs and Tevas on sale at REI and we are watching the...
Maybe you could make some light joke about how different your approaches are to parenting. Like, "wow we have such different parenting practices that it will be fun to talk again in 20 years and see how the kiddos turn out!" Or, you could do my standard "that is what our pediatrician recommended" and then just not talk about it further. It is sad. There is a thread in another board I go to about this exact same thing, a mom wanting validation for starting her babe...
Sounds to me like your child needs dental help but it does not have to be traumatic. Try finding a pediatric dentist who has a better plan for working with children. My child was taken with me and dh to our dentist from the time she was one, to watch our appointments for a few minutes each before the other parent took her outside. So, she saw what it was all about and how we did not mind it at all. (and I had fillings replaced, which she did not watch, but she was...
I just got back from an Amtrak trip with my 3 year old from Seattle to San Luis Obispo CA and back. It was a fun trip. We had a sleeperette, which is basically a small room with a locking door and curtains. It has two wide seats facing each other that become one bed and a bunk that comes down from above. Dd slept in the bunk and I slept below and we found it comfy and clean. Our meals were included and we found the food to be pretty good. The salad and fresh fruit...
yeah it seemed like you all were having a good time!
We also limit meat because organic meat is expensive. I buy two packages of lunch meat a week and two dinners of meat per week. Otherwise, we eat a lot of pasta and veggie dishes, soups, stews, etc. I don't buy organic butter because it is like twice as much as regular and we don't eat that much anyway. I try to think of the good organic is doing us and the fact that the rest of the non-organic farm industry is supported through our taxes, subsidies and all. Organic...