or Connect

Posts by cali2tx

I'm a big fan of Daniel Tiger, I wish there were more episodes. My daughter is a big fan of Bubble Guppies, which I like too. I think SuperWhy is the most educational, it really reinforces her alphabet. I wouldn't miss Cat In The Hat. It drives me nuts how commercial Dora The Explorer is - I can't walk through the cereal or toothpaste aisle of the supermarket without seeing her face. I held off on showing Dora to my daughter but we do watch her. The one that I find...
My first thought was the Assonet/Freetown area too. Renting may not be easy, but its rural, woodsy & spacious. You should check zoning laws for chickens in Mass, some communities won't allow it. Renting acres anywhere in Eastern Mass for sounds very unlikely, nevermind for $1500/month. Look southwest of Boston and maybe along Route 495. Take some time to check out some cost of living comparisons between your area in Cali and the Boston suburbs to make sure the new...
Find age appropriate books about moving & start reading them now. We've done 2 moves in the last 9 months with out now 2-year-old and have "Katie Moves" which I found very helpful. Katie's family is moving, they put everything on boxes, movers take everything in a big truck, Katie's favorite toy goes in the car with her & they drive to her new house where she has a pretty room & makes friends with the boy next door. When the movers came to load the truck, we talk about...
We have a good deal of pink here for my toddler but I wear pinks too. The majority of her pink toys and clothes have been gifts. I try to make a point of buying non-pink clothes for her and do the same if I'm gift shopping for a little girl, even if its just tourquous or yellow. We try to buy gender neutral or traditionally boy toys to help balance out the girly stuff. MegaBlocks in primary colors instead of the pastel version, a dinosaur play mat, a wooden train,...
I have mixed feelings on the Miss Firstname. I kept my maiden name & my daughter has my husband's last name. We're still new here & I don't think many have figured this out yet. I don't need to be called 'Sarah's Mommy' but I don't love the idea of random kids from play group or storytime calling me by my first name. I just don't have a problem with my friends' kids calling me by my first name like thier parents do. I have been trying to teach my daughter to use Miss...
Its very common in here in West Texas. We're not native Texans but assume our daughter will grow up saying 'Yes sir' and 'thank you ma'am.' Its just the culture here. Everyone also seems to encourage their kids to call grown ups 'Miss Becky' 'Miss Stephanie' etc.
We had a flea problem in out last home & my infant daughter got a few bites (me too). I bought Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil online & added a small amount to her bath water. Skin-So-Soft is a home remedy bug repellant, it smells nice, gentle on sensitive skin and seemed to help us. I've read about more natural tricks, like putting dried lavender under the bed/crib but never tried it.
I probably wouldn't buy new stuffed animals for a 10-year-old but I wouldn't dream of taking them away. What does your husband consider age appropriate? Sneakers? Gadgets? I'd prefer to see a child play with Legos than play video games. Do your boys have other hobbies (card collecting, sports, music)? Maybe give birthday gifts for their specific interests instead of a toy, like binoculars for the nature boy, a team baseball cap for the sports fan, batting gloves for...
Have you tried the Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot about That books? The books are factual & educational but in rhyms told by The Cat in the Hat. Their space book is "Theres No Place Like Space." Its explains a bit about each planet "Mars is the color of rust, we sneeze here because it is covered in dust...", the sun, moon & constellations.
My almost 2-year-old doesn't do too much independent play yet but she seems to be getting more intersted in her toys and occupies herself a bit more with them.  Some toys & home activities that are somewhat independent: her music instrument (egg shakers, maracas, Little Tikes tap-a-tune piano), toys that play music (a book of songs that has buttons that plays Itsy Bitsy Spider and a few other songs, drawing on construction paper with markers, Little People princesess &...