or Connect

Posts by kmamma

How is it informed consent to discuss my choice to not vaccinate with a doctor? The majority of doctors are not experts on vaccinations, and are regularly not very well-read when it comes to new research.  How many parents have done *their* research before submitting their children to vaccinations? How many of the doctors who vaccine proponents here feel are adequately qualified to give unbiased risk-benefit information, give this same information before vaccinating...
I see the thread is pretty old, but just wanted to chime in on the visa issue. While I don't have experience with British immigration, if it's anything like in the US, a marriage based visa can take several months to get. Also, if you think of getting a student visa for your husband, make sure to check if that's possible when the student is married to a Brit. Those visas are only valid for a specific length of time and it may not be possible to upgrade to a marriage...
I've eaten honey for a long time, and for the majority of the time, I've never had a problem. Then I moved back home to Sweden and found an organic honey in the store which I used with yogurt. The first few times I used it, I developed an itchy throat and so stopped using it. Instead I used raw sugar with my yogurt for the following year. The I tried to go back to using honey again cause I developed some dental issues. I bought the same honey again, and this time I had...
You are very wise to research this before moving. I homeschooled in the US, then moved to Europe and ended up in Sweden just as the new ridiculous law was passed, and it was truly like a nightmare to no longer be able to homeschool without breaking the law. We've been here for two years and luckily my son is well adjusted and there is no 'major' issue with school,  but he's bored and I can tell his talents are being wasted. We're slowly working our way out of here,...
My 10 year-old had a very deep cavity at last checkup six months ago and the dentist said he would try and fill it without doing a root canal, which he managed to do. I was sort of in a state of panic during the visit and wasn't given any time to consider our options.    He said after 6 months we'd see if he still might need a root canal. I thought that we might perhaps manage to use dietary changes to 'heal' his tooth, and although he's experienced remineralization...
Holisitc--I know the thread is very old, but I just wanted to say I think you should be very proud of your decision to wait it out. I'm glad that you finally found the path which worked for both you and your son.    Also, I noticed your theory of why so many AP kids have cavities on the front teeth. I believe that's partially correct, nighttime breastfeeding. But children in traditional cultures who breastfed on demand (which included continuous night feedings) did...
I've just recently heard of this type of intolerance, and I'm wondering how you figured out it was fructose intolerance, and not something else. I used to eat raw honey daily with my yogurt, but stopped when moving to Sweden two years ago. I bought some organic, pasteurized, honey from the store the first day, but got a very itchy throat from it. Like I was allergic. So I switched to rapadura.  A year later I wanted to go back to eating honey again cause I had developed...
Koalamom--Something else to consider is your consumption of grains, which I assume are whole. Your rampant dental decay could definitely be caused by eating improperly prepared grains. The assumption that traditional people ate their grains whole doesn't rest on much evidence at all, and in fact there's quite some evidence to the contrary. There are lots of studies done to measure the amount of phytic acid and other antinutrients eliminated by different methods of...
raksmama--the Masai have never traditionally relied on meat as their primary staple; it's milk. Warriors of the Masai subsist on a diet of meat, milk and blood, almost exclusively, for about 15 years out of their lives. But there are women Masai too, and children, and elderly;). There's a really interesting series on the subject of the Masai culture and diet over on the WAP website, by Chris Masterjohn.    Regarding the OP's concern, it seems at least for your...
Hey.   I came to this subforum with the intention of finding support for email addiction/connecting online rather than irl. I had no idea I would find this thread which is so specific to my situation! Unlike the rest of you, I haven't used this particular place as the focus of my 'emotional online reliance', mostly just emails and facebook (yuck).  Like Linda on the move, we have also moved a ton in the past 10 years or so. I feel like that's possibly why I've...