or Connect

Posts by kmamma

You can try and pack his teeth with something anti-bacterial, usch as propolis or goldenseal, or a toothpowder. We did goldenseal for a while, but it tastes horrible. SO he may only put up with it for a short while. The powder will kill off bacteria, and so may stop the decay. Also, you may want to cut down on carbs, even healthy ones.
Thanks toraji. Please come back soon, I can't wait to hear about the butter oil. It is so expensive, I don't want to buy it until I have heard all about it. We live on a farm where they produce their own spring and fall pastured butter, so maybe that's enough. It's pastureized though, but I suppose I could make a batch of butter myself. I didn't know that vegetables have more minerals than other foods. I'm always interested in other opinions, and scientific data. Sally...
Hello. I was so relieved to see this topic being first on the list. I've just made an appointment to see a dentist (he'll do both me and my son in hte same visit), and I've been feeling so guilty about not going sooner. Last time was a year ago. I thought it was getting worse because a couple of teeth have turned black (the decayed part). Relieved to read that black means slowed rate of decay. But most all of his molars have brown spots. Overall, I just feel so guilty...
I suffered from this too. I thought I got all the crayons out, but in fact the yellow one got thrown into the dryer. Ds normally doesn't carry anything in his pockets, but from now on I will always check. The load consisted of a few newly bougth items for me. I flipped out!!! So now my beautiful pink jeans are dotted with yellow. I tried scrubbing it out with a heavy duty kitchen scrub, so there's some of that too.
sucanat used to be what rapadura is today, completely unrefined. Sucanat sold out and although it looks very similar in color and texture it has been refined to some degree. Rapadura is the only sugar I know of that is 100% unrefined. I love it. We buy sucanat for dh's coffee.
I'm fed up with poor quality grains and legumes. I never buy bulk from bins anymore because I know grains quickly go rancid when exposed to air, and legumes usually look shriveled and dead. The coops here don't carry much in the way of pre-packaged stuff since they have their bins. I'm looking for a company that I can get bulk foods from where quality is consistent. Sometimes when I sort through my beans I end up throwing away almost half of it because of poor quality. I...
Catarina--I love black pudding, or blood pudding as we call it in Sweden. I found a recipe for it when I was back home that seemed pretty old-fashioned (using rye flour, I figured I could soak it in milk before cooking). One can buy blood pudding in every store, but the quality is not very good, and they put way too much sugar in there. School lunches in Sweden always have blood pudding with potato pancakes (roughly translated: rag munks) at least bi-weekly on the menu. We...
From an iron cookware cookbook I once found I read that any vegetable oil will make the surface more sticky. I only use animal fats now, and it sure makes a difference. I use lard, and sometimes suet when I have it. Bacon fat's good too (but I avoid it if it's got added stuff like sugar and smoke chemicals). But mostly I just leave the oil from foods in the pan. And remember not to ever use soap, just plain hot water. I don't use water at all unless something got a little...
Yes callmemama, we just see things differently. I thought your point was that we need to remind children about food to make sure that they will eat. At least the reverse was my point--we don't need to remind them about food. They just know by hunger feelings that they need to eat. And maybe it's just natural for any human to go a long time with nothing to eat if they're involved in something important, such as exploring the world intensely.
Maybe you'd call me an uncaring mother, but no I don't offer a hug. I sometimes ask for one (assuming that hugs are a two-way deal) if I feel like hugging him. He can say yes or no before we hug. Hugs are nice, but only if the other pesron truly feels like hugging. As far as other food goes, I never need to offer him anything!! He's pretty quick about inviting himself to a bite or drink. I like to think of it as avoiding to rob him of valuable opportunities to develop...