or Connect

Posts by APCDmama

People assuming your child is a certain way because he/she's an only: Very annoying. As many PP's have already stated, personality has more to do with certain characteristics (i.e. being slow to warm in social situations) than family size. My DD's demanding, high-maintenance personality is often attributed to being an only. Believe me, she's been like this since birth! : Also, she's 3 years old and still learning some of the social graces. She was having trouble...
I know what you mean about having to leave the room in order to ignore the biting, tamaralv. For some reason, the nail biting bothers me even more than nose picking. I look forward to the day it stops. At least, I HOPE it stops...
Until last year, I was using facial products from the drugstore/department store, and had problems with patchy redness and bumpy cheeks. Once a month, I also had pimples to contend with. Then I switched to natural products (This includes a change to mineral makeup. I used to wear MAC and Clinique) and was amazed by the results. My skin is normal/dry now. It is very clear and smooth, and the colour is nicely balanced. I think skin sensitivity plays a role for me. ...
I had a similar experience last week. The aesthetician made the mistake of telling me I have beautiful skin BEFORE attempting to market the spa's products. Ummmm...why would I buy a facial cleanser for $80, a toner for $65, and a moisturizing cream for $100+ when my $2 homemade soap and $16 jojoba oil is doing such a great job already? She asked the typical, "What's your skin care regimen?" and judging by the look on her face, I don't think many people comment on...
Genetic or learned behaviour? Interesting question, for sure. Neither DH nor I are nail biters, so I don't think she has picked this up from us. For some reason, she just feels the need to nibble! Perhaps the nose picking and nail biting are related. She also grinds her teeth at night. Is hair twirling next? marieangela, my DD occasionally bites her toenails, too. Ick!
I kept an extra 15 lbs for 2 years while DD was nursing. (I am normally very thin and have always been physically fit.) After 2 years, we were still nursing, but the extra pounds and fat came off with no extra effort, and I am now 1-2 lbs lighter than pre-pregnancy. Every body is different.
Have you considered allergies? They can definitely have an effect on behaviour and also cause fatigue. Just a thought...
She's 3 years old. The nose picking seemed to slow down after I ignored it, so I'm hoping the same thing will happen with the nail biting. It drives me crazy, though. : All I can think about is the germs on her fingers.
Lovely. DD has cut back considerably on the nose picking, but now she has a new habit...nail biting. The germ factor really bothers me, especially since she's going through a major period of hand-washing aversion. When will this get easier?!! Why in the world is she biting her fingernails? It doesn't seem to be a nervous habit. She says "my nails are too long" when, in fact, they are very, very short. She also says "I like to bite them" and tends to nibble when...
If I remember correctly, DD fussed a little when I introduced the counting limits (around her 3rd birthday) but there were no full-on tantrums or tears. If she seemed to be getting genuinely upset, I let her back on and tried counting again after a few minutes. It didn't take long for her to accept this procedure, so I assume that means she was 'ready' for some limits. I know this wouldn't have worked at an earlier age for her. 30 minutes of nursing?!! I wish the...