or Connect

Posts by 2pedals2wheels

I was really lonely and overwhelmed when I had my first child.  We also took in a foster teen at the same time, so I had ZERO time for myself.  I was buried in stress and loneliness and severe PPD but couldn't show it because we had to be a good family for our teenage foster daughter.   I found out about a local MOPS group and quickly got on the waiting list.  I have now been a part of MOPS for a year and a half and I have never had so many wonderful friends in my life!!!!...
We are a pretty mainstream, social family and not too conservative. My husband, now 35 years old, was home schooled.  I would consider him "different" but not weird.  He is different because he has never had a self-esteem problem, never felt pressure to be like others, and has natural self confidence.  After doing extremely well in college and grad school, he moved up quickly through the ranks and now is a State Director for a certain department.  He is well-liked by his...
I am watching this post, not because I have advice, but rather we will be having our second child soon and wondering how my 2 yr old might respond to it.  I am hoping some others with multiple children will share some stories or some advice.  Thanks for posting this question.  :)
I agree with many things previously said, such as staying calm, using a calm tone of voice (not an "annoyed-and-gritting-my-teeth" voice), naps are a necessity, having a baggie of snacks and/or sippy cup.  One thing that is hugely successful for me is singing.  When he starts fussing, I start a song quietly. We sing all of the time and it is now his go-to "happy place".  Songs with motions are extra successful, like "The Wheels on the Bus" or "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"....
Mamaprovides, you have no idea how close your predicament hits home for my in-laws and our issues with them.  You're NOT alone...I'm betting others can identify, too.  Hang in there and remember that, as a responsible mother, you know best what your family needs.  :)  And I agree with you; "Proper behavior is not and should not be reactionary to their distasteful behavior."  Good for you for not compromising your behavior because of theirs.      
Surround yourself and your children with people you love.   It seems unanimous your effort has not paid off in the past, so why keep torturing yourself and everyone involved?     Follow your motherly instincts.  Be happy. Live happy. 
Wow, such a good website Lillian.  I will be visiting early and often.  Thanks for a great collection of useful info!
I LOVE reading this post.  I feel a kindred spirit amongst many of you.   Technically, there's no way DH and I should be able to lead the lifestyle that we do.  We live comfortably on one modest income and haven't ever been in dire need of money. DH and I married late and had (at the time) around $130k debt for a combined 10 yrs undergrad, 2 yrs grad school, 2 cars, 1 humble house.  Seven years and one child later, we have pinched pennies and cut it back to $75k....
You sound like a person I would like to get to know better :)  I, too, like all of the kinds of things you do (except the bee keeping haha).  Staying at home where I live has 2 different reputations: 1) You are wealthy and you can afford to live on one income, OR  2) You are an old-fashioned homely christian type.  I prefer the "I can afford to raise my own child so I'm going to do it my way and do it well" reputation :)   I never knew about the Quebec childcare; how...
Wanted to thank Daffodil for her tip. We will be moving back to VT next year and now that we have a child, I'm investigating the home school scene there more.  We know many home school families there but I really like your idea for the webpage report. I'd like to do it that way, too.  Sounds a lot easier than other ways I've seen.  Thanks!