or Connect

Posts by sparkletruck

Going to a One Billion Rising event tomorrow in the capital w/ dd1 (taking her out of school for the day) and a few friends and their moms. The mom who invited said "tell her to be prepared to hear a bunch of women screaming Vagina"
NIC - Not sure how serious you were when you asked about prospects here, but Dh went for a tour this morning (after blowing it off earlier i the application "season" and now regretting it), felt the same attraction/fit, thinks I should work there, and found this. Note the "middle school english" and "middle school head of school". I know its crazy unlikely, but hey, the new climbing gym is opening in March (we went to see it last week and it is amazing) You could come...
Nic - to address you question fo' real, I usually say something about swearing like, they are hurtful and nasty words that people use when they dont take the time to explain how they feel. They are lazy and ignorant (because you are not mindful enough to figure out the actual problem making you so mad/frustrated/etc, and you dont take the time to problem-solve, but just rely on the curse word for a lot of feelings you are too lazy or ignorant - I try to avoid stupid but I...
Nic - if its any consolation, my 11 dd asked me yesterday what a raper is? That was a conversation I didnt expect to have for awhile
JG - absolutely on the pain/depression relationship. I think its actually a feedback loop, and one can start the other or vice-versa. I have had the experience this year, when the D has been really awful, of my aches and pains hurting a lot more. Its so weird. Is there any way you can put your energy (ha ha) into some other activity, like, for good. Could you possibly say, I wont be a runner anymore, I'm going to focus on cycling/pilates/yoga/weights/??? I know your...
Living in Mpls. for 4 years, I dont recall salting the side streets. They were packed snow and ice through the winter. Didnt see concrete from Nov. - Mar. Just drove slow, and we had a 4wd. I recall once stopping (way ahead of, and driving slow) at a stop-sign, only to just glide right through the intersection. Thankfully it was a side street so no cross traffic Nic - how frightening! Very glad you are ok!
Jo - the beauty and power of what you describe is so moving. I'm glad you got to go and that you are home safe Real - Sigh. I am so bummed to hear that. We are reading Foucault (Discipline and Punish) and Bourdieu in this 'social and political contexts of writing instruction' class, and I'm feeling so overwhelmed by The Man, like the education system is becoming increasingly, and at great speed, driven by a market-mind-set where conservative cultural-capitalism is the...
She's actually really submissive and gentle and kind of grandma-like. I think she just requires too much (5 hours vacuuming/wk, for starters) for how hard it is to include her in our lives (cant take a Pyrenees anywhere ) The woman we talked to had a pyrenees mix, and is looking specifically for another. When I told her about the challenges (hello, dog-body-sized holes all over the back yard) she said, "oh I know, you should see my yard". So Im optimistic that these...
Plady - Have a GREAT time. Sorry about the pukey cat MelW - you handle all of your obligations/commitments with such grace that it is no wonder people are reaching out to you left and right to offer positions. Of course they want you!! I hope the move and house-selling go smoothly. I have a few pointers if you want them from selling our house ourselves (and we had 4 offers in the first 4 hours ... after prepping the house for several months, and we sold it in a day). ...
YES on the moving. We moved 17x in 14 years and now are committed. It disturbs me. I find myself fantasizing about the day after dd1 leaves for college (as somehow that's the arbitrary soonest cut-off for another move). Although, Dh has th opportunity to work in NZ anytime, and I am agitating for that for the 2015-2016 school year ... Nic, you could house-sit for a year and try it out Nic - Thank you for that post about your DD! Ours sound identical, right down to...