or Connect

Posts by sparkletruck

I am so content to put my head in the sand and read (The Goldfinch; Donna Tartt; so good!) that I could care less what anyone is doing. I only feel pangs of guilt when neighbros ( Im leaving that typo) bring cookies over and I dont reciprocate. Not this year anyway Any recs for a sewing machine? Im looking at Janome... Just thought Id ask ... So much intensity happening here. I cant go into detail, and probably wouldnt anyway b/c it crosses into a realm of deep...
Rest in Peace Jake NRR: having some major revelations about my kids and my health and life. Wow. This time of life, whenever it happens, is hard core all around. The gist of the kid lightbulb (which Ive had before and somehow forgot - grrr, why!) is that the older two are insecure. Like, somehow fundamentally insecure. One (DD1) manifests it as self-consiousness, shyness, lack of assertiveness, hiding her strong opinions, etc, while the other (DS) manifests it as...
Ds' birthday today (9), then a week later christmas, then a week later DD2's birthday (1/3/14; 6). If I'd had more foresight I would have done things differently Apple pie in the oven for "Battle of the Books" tomorrow, for which kids are encouraged to bring some food item that was described in one of the books. DD1 chose apple pie. Um, yeah. Last time it was a loaf of sourdough Lofty - so glad for every positive report. and im so sorry for the flakiness on the...
Plady - I was so moved by your post about the grief involved in parenting. Yes. I feel that a lot lately (when I dont like ds but still love him so intensely). Thanks for articulating it for me. JG - Im so sorry about Jake. I dont think either option is inhumane, as long as it feels like the right thing to do. We nursed our very old cat for months until she couldnt get up anymore and was peeing herself and couldnt eat. I hope he has a peaceful transition. Hi to...
Nic - I could use a book. DS got his semester report card yesterday and Its Montessori, so written as a narrative, and not only was the "social/emotional" part the same as last time (as far as issues) but he is doing worse, and to top it off, the teacher sounded resigned. Literally, I just felt like the writing exuded a huge heaving sigh. Not that I blame the teacher. He has been working with DS for 3 years now on these things and I'm sure he is out of ideas and...
Nic - what sense do YOU get from him? It helps me to try to tune into my intuition/gut (not trying to be punny) about my DS when I have started to feel overwhelmed by possibilities. I have never thought my DS had adhd b/c he is so very capable of persisting in activities that he cares about, and I mean, persistent. So if it wasnt that, then what? Mine has several other characteristics that seem related, but I couldnt figure out how for a long time (and its an ongoing...
Nic - I agree with Kerc; not offensive at all, and there is a lot of that watchfulness by many parents at public school for all kinds of reasons, to the extent that our school (albeit charter) does not allow celebration of Halloween, Easter, Christmas, etc. It's kinda extreme, but I get it. So sorry about the overwhelm and sadness due to this challenge. It is a process, for better and worse. You dont have to figure it all out this week, or this month! These pop-up...
I'm reading, but not much to say lately Here is a sort of cool video of the comp. I went to this past weekend with DD1. It was sent by the dad of one of DD1's competitors who I've become friendly with b/c our daughters tend to be close in ability. My DD1 is in the red short sleeve over the black long sleeve, with black capris, and pony-tails. She is shown climbing for about 4 seconds, and then for a few seconds here and there at other parts of the vid. (like when the...
Geo - on peanut sauce: take out the amount you need for a dinner, then freeze the rest in individual dinner sized servings (you dont want to freeze and then refreeze). I use this over stir-fry and my kids devour whatever veg. its on.... I think our family of 5 uses about 3/4-1C per dinner? NRR: back from a weekend in Ogden UT for Regionals (NM, UT, AZ). Add missed connection and flying to Portland OR to get to UT, and a sick kid, and the normal high stress of a comp.,...
Lofty - yes on the paranoia. I found a book today that is very validating. Weird how it can take so long to find a resource. It doesnt offer any fixes, necessarily, but basically is like, duh, yes, and here is the endocrinology behind it. NRR: DD1 is home sick We leave tomorrow for a major climbing comp.