or Connect

Posts by sparkletruck

I just had such a moving, powerful parenting experience: DD1 was testing for a new belt in Kung Fu. This requires demonstrating several moves in front of a panel of black belts (literally, like the movie Flashdance), and then the form that corresponds with the level (orange belt). After the test, the panel consults in private and then comes out of a room and you stand in front of them again while they review your test, orally, one at a time. In her review, each black...
Ah, yes That's one for the Simplified Spelling Society
Wow, this is hitting me in a soft spot. DD1 is a new 11, and the other two will turn 9 (DS) and 6 (DD2) by 1/3/14. Both DD's were due on the 9th and both came on the 3rd. All the bdays are within 3 mos, so once dd1 turns a new age, I just start telling people the older age for all of them I came here in 2005, when DS was nearly 1 and I was new to this town and knew no one. I found company here in the midst of isolation and solo parenting with two under 3. I have...
Add The Orphan Master's Son to that list! Won the Pulitzer this year. Took awhile for me to get absorbed, but once I did, I was enthralled and now it haunts me. Trying to get into Dissident Gardens (Jonathan Lethem's new one) but just cant let the other characters go quite yet... NRR: got the older two flu shots today after the mist was canceled at their school. Also got myself new glasses. Modified cat-eye in olive green metal! I was debating getting the lime green...
RM - calm down about the lice. They dont hop or fly, and dont live on things like hard surfaces. They do freeze in 8 hours, so if you live somewhere that is freezing overnight, you could just put your couch cushions out there for a night instead of washing everything (much less work), and jackets, scarves, hats, etc. I've been through it 4x in the last 3 years so feel like a veteran - hrmph The gross factor was gone after the first few days that first year Now its...
Real (and Nic?) - I didnt read this whole thing but I thought of you both. L, maybe it is time to look further afield. You clearly have so much drive, intelligence, and knowledge about other subjects; I'm thinking public policy, sociology, or even politics. Have you looked at what it would require to change paths? Could you find something at the ground level without the academic background and work up? I have a friend with a B.A who randomly got a pt job working at...
Mel38 and Gaye - saw the pics on FB. SO beautiful. I am so proud and happy to know you Lofty - One day at a time
Real - ding ding ding; yes. I hear you on all of it, except the FBI/CIA part And yeah, I totally recognize you in that I have considered many times that I should have gone into medicine, mostly b/c I loved bio. and now am surrounded by friends who are doctors and they seem to come close to the goal of doing what you love, service, and quality of life ... although they are all cynical and burnt out by the system of medicine, and Dh says "oh yeah, I get to serve others...
Jo - you can definitely do it! They changed the test the year I took it, so I've now taken the old one and the new one, and the new one is so. much. better. They got rid of several dumb sections (analogies), and the ones remaining are very intuitive if you are a language-oriented person (which I consider myself). I did take a course, but even then, the language portion of the books was somewhat easy (compared to math, which was like re-learning most of it ) However, I...
New Thread