or Connect

Posts by hottmama

Four is my favorite age so far (my oldest will be 7 next month).
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades I hear this all the time, but it's just not my experience. Most of the people I know with PhDs use curse words. Many use them often. The idea that using a word arbitrarily deemed as a "bad" word equals poor or limited intelligence is a silly notion. Same here. Half the people I know are working on PhDs and they curse up a storm! In our house, we call curse words "grown-up words" and my boys (4 and...
The book he was reading that is supposedly grade level 3.7 had this first paragraph: "The Stein family lived in the pretty pink house with lovely purple shutters down at the end of Daffodil Street. Everything about the house was bright and cheery. Everything, that is, except the upstairs bedroom with the tiny round window." He didn't need help or take long on any word. He read the first 2 chapters (8 pages) with help on tricky words (redecorate, pterodactyl, piranha)....
I'm really confused about how to figure out my son's reading level. A month ago, I thought it was mid-1st grade. Then he picked out Frog and Toad and read it fairly easily (he has to sound out some words)-- which is 2nd grade. Today is his bday and he received a book that is grade level 3.7 (according to the scholastic website), and read the first page easily, with only 1-2 words per page he needed help with on the next few pages. He did have to sound out quite a few words...
Our house is 68 during the day and 62 at night. The kids' beds have a fleece blanket plus a thin comforter, and my bed has no blanket but a HOT down comforter (I have to take it off sometimes and I sleep in just undies). The kids sleep in PJs, tees and undies, or just undies, depending on their mood. During the day I have to wear socks and a sweater over my clothes, but the boys (especially the little one, who's 4) are happy to run around in their underwear. They don't...
My little guy will be 4 tomorrow! His big brother's on winter break and they are so happy to have so much playtime together! Tomorrow is his party (at Chuck E Cheese, groan, his idea) and his friends from preschool are coming. One mom asked, "I assume he'd like books?" and asked what reading level. A couple people said they couldn't believe that he was turning 4 (his classmates are turning 5). I didn't realize he stood out so much at school... he seems to crawl around...
My boys have had bunk beds for a year and a half and we like them! It IS a pain to change the sheets on the top bunk, so I started having them make up their own beds. They haven't gotten hurt, they don't jump off the top bunk or do anything dangerous up there. We might do something else someday but these are working for us now. They're almost-7 and 4.
I don't really play with them much. They play with each other and their toys. When my oldest is at school, my 4yo reads, does puzzles, plays on the computer or with his toys by himself. I do like to play sports with them (throw a football around, backyard soccer, go swimming or ice skating), and go hiking, canoeing, camping, etc. so I think they'll have good memories of that sort of thing.
It generally just means they are academically advanced-- performing at a grade level above their own without being . My youngest son is gifted, and I don't hesitate to use the word even though he has not been tested. He is almost 4 and reading at a 2nd grade level. Gifted children tend to have a drive to learn, master things quickly, and have very good memories. There are also IQ tests for children as young as 3 but we are in no rush to test our little one. The only...
At my son's elementary school, they may not enter the building until first bell at 8:45 and then are tardy if they aren't in the classroom when the late bell rings at 8:48. I think the 3 minute window is a little harsh-- I don't want my son standing outside waiting in the cold, but miss the 3 minute window and he has to go to the office.