or Connect

Posts by Zina

I used to come to MDC a lot--it was like a life line after my third child was born. But things here got more and more contentious (all across the various forums it seemed) and after awhile I just got tired of wading throught the pettiness and in-fighting and such to get to the support and inspiration. Recently, though, I was faced with a very difficult and wrenching situation in which I had to choose between continuing to nurse at risk to my daughter, or sudden weaning,...
Thanks for the great advice! I knew I had come to the right place! I had actually heard of another mama doing the band aids, about a year ago. At the time I said (not to the mama), "Wow, that's pretty weird." Munch, munch, munch...eating my words. I gave my daughter a couple days warning, talked a lot about it. Then we took her to pick out her own special big-girl cup, and had a little party for her--sang "Happy Big Girl to You" and had lemonade in her new cup. I...
Hello, I need to wean my two and a half year old and I need to do it in the next couple of weeks. This is due to a medical situation--I'll not go into the whole long story, but I have agonized over it and it just is necessary for her health as well as mine, and can't be put off. Until now, I have nursed her freely and figured she'd wean when she weaned. She has slowed down, and in fact has moved towards weaning her self to some extent. She is very bright and easy to...
I've had this conversation several times lately, about whether fair trade is good or not and whether boycotting child labor/sweatshop labor is good or not. The argument is that boycotting=no wages which is worse than low wages. But, it usually comes across, to me, as an excuse to go ahead and buy convenient, cheap goods. I do think, though, that not supporting worker exploitation (boycotting) isn't enough. Supporting efforts to turn around the whole institution of...
Reading the boycott thread added to my loooong list of products/companies I refuse to support. It is easy to find offensive, unethical, destructive, inhumane companies out there! But the alternatives are not easy to find. One of my main strategies is just to cut down on consuming in general. Instead of buying four cheap-o child labor/sweatshop produced shirts at Walmart, I buy one good quality, ethically made, shirt and wear it four times as often. And buying second...
Well...I had a motorcycle, travelled alone all over the place, was very free spirited....now, as the often tired, mother of three with not nearly enough time to get everything done, semi-desperate for some time/space to myself, my wildest fantasy is for all three kids to be sleeping at once and my husband to hold me in his arms and say, "What the hell, let's have one more!" I guess wildness is in the eye of the beholder.
Thank you for the warm welcome back!
It's been a year or so since I've posted so I thought I'd reintroduce myself. I'm mother to a nearly 8 year old boy and two girls, 6 and 2, and am deleriously happily married. We do most of the AP stuff--breast feeding, cloth diapers, cosleeping, etc. I got very busy with homeschooling, starting a non-profit org., going back to school myself, and life. But I have missed the inspiring conversation, laughter, wisdom, and wealth of information of the Mothering community,...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by clevah girl [B] Rosa Parks was practicing civil disobeidiance. [QUOTE] Kathleen Huggins was also practicing civil disobedience. This wasn't stealing for the sake of stealing--it's not like she took a box of tongue depressors and a prescription pad.
Quote: Originally posted by Joan Now I think the poster should be returned to it's original spot, after being plastered over with pro-breastfeeding facts and information. Then they can add vandalism to her rap sheet! This woman is a menace to (formula-happy) society!