or Connect

Posts by mcmikies

I'm glad some of you brought up the disconnectedness thing, I've been feeling guilty about it. Sometimes I think that if I felt more connected to this baby it wouldn't be so difficult for me to make good decisions sometimes, like about exercising or eating healthy, or that I wouldn't feel so tired and lazy sometimes. We only did the 20-week anatomy scan and didn't find out the sex, so this baby is largely a mystery to me. I always hear, and you have echoed it here, that it...
Welcome Booke, Stef, and PixieBeach!! Eine, that is hilarious about the burger on the windowsill... and completely true! I live in California and even with the abundance of the land here it is still much more expensive to eat real food than "junk", and all the food marketing makes it hard to decipher the difference sometimes. Plus there is such a stigma attached to making good food choices as well. On the one side you have people who are very self-righteous about making...
Hi all, I'm relatively new to the site, or at least new to interacting on the site. I am 35 weeks pregnant and have often found myself on mothering through google searching or links from blogs or other resources. I am very introverted and have made quite an effort to reach out to other mothers during this pregnancy and have met many, however I love that there is so much community already established here full of like-minded and/or open-minded mamas. It has certainly been...
Mataji- I like both Taylor and Quincy. I suppose Taylor has become very popular as a girls name but I think once it is attached to a little boy there will be nothing very unisex about it. It's a wonderful boys name, I think. The meaning of Quincy for your family is so unique though, if it were me I would likely sway that direction. I don't know if you are opposed to initials but I knew a lot of "RJ"s growing up, nothing girly about that should he decide he wants something...
I've noticed that sitting on a birth ball really decreases the number of rib kicks I get. When sitting on the couch it seems I end up sliding further and further down until I'm practically on my back trying to make more room for the baby... I tend to get lots of "I'm squished!" kicks on the couch. I guess sitting with hips above knees really opens things up and gives baby more room. Plus it is starting to feel really good to do hip circle and pelvic tilt type movements on...
I'm loving the look of the Bravado tanks and bras... seems promising that the tanks actually have sizes associated with them, I've never seen that before. And layering seems like such a good idea since most nursing tops seem to be on the pricey side and I just have no idea what my body is going to do shape/size-wise after the baby, buying anything expensive or unique seems silly. Great advice to wait and see what we definitely need before buying much, I've been trying to...
Sending love and light!
That's so great that you guys are having luck with insurance and chiro! Mine isn't covered, my whole birth plan isn't covered though so we at least were able to plan to be going out of pocket during this period. It will be nice once baby is here and the constant outflow of cash slows down a bit, though I'm sure plenty of things will come up, but at least the midwifery stuff will be done and paid for. Speaking of the midwife, had a prenatal today. It's always fun to go in...
Good idea! My current *goals* are to get up and do yoga for 45-60 min in the morning, and then 45-60 min of brisk walking (~3 miles) each night. What I'm actually doing... more like yoga 3-4 days a week. It's been quite warm here (at least for my liking) so it is really hard to motivate to do much activity during the day. So this only happens if I am up and not distracted before the sun starts heating things up. I use YogaGLO online which is working great for me. Cheap,...
Wow! So much excellent advice here, this is awesome. I have read the Womanly Art and the Nursing Mother's Companion but for some reason hearing from moms can be so much more helpful and direct. I've been to a few LLL meetings too and love hearing from moms there as well, though they aren't usually talking about the beginning stages. YouTube, of course! That is the thing that is missing from the breastfeeding books, actual pictures of breasts and little nursling latches....