or Connect

Posts by mcmikies

I know it is a little early for this, but I thought it might be nice to have a place to talk about any questions, trials, or triumphs we have with breastfeeding. I'll start with a total rookie mom question... what the heck is the deal with engorgement? I'm not a small chested lady to start with and I'm wondering about bras and how to choose one as having a good one is important for me. Did you need to wear a special type or larger sized bra for this phase? Or is it...
This totally happens to us! I tend to want DH's family around more than he does and I know I have to be sensitive to that. Especially because, yes, he totally gets on my nerves when he is irritated with them. That's kind of a selfish way to look at it I guess but hey, it is what it is!
Lilac, I think calling your dietician is a good idea, especially if you are feeling hungry. Listening to your body is so important and you shouldn't be uncomfortable. The thing that is so infuriating about the numbers is that they give the impression that everything is black and white. 2+2=4... so why the heck doesn't 2 carbs + 2 carbs equal 4 carbs, or maybe only sometimes, it is enough to drive anyone crazy! The fact is that it is just more complicated than the numbers...
I heard recently sitting indian-style called "tailor-sitting", I think I read that in the Bradley Method book. I'm adopting it for now I saw a chiro who specializes in preggos for the first time last week (32 weeks for me), had been putting it off hoping to avoid yet another expense. She said around 30 weeks is actually sort of an ideal time to go, so don't worry that you are too late! I've gotta say she kinda blew my mind... she did a great job of explaining how a...
Thanks for all the insight everyone, so helpful! I love the idea of trying to stretch out the help for as long as possible, maybe having SIL come when DH has to go back to work. Plus, introversion is practically a superpower of mine so I'm betting even the most ideal company might be too much. As with most baby plans at this point though, I think waiting to see how we all feel is probably the best way to go... even though my Type A personality wants to have everything...
I've been thinking about the postpartum period a lot lately. I just checked out Robin Lim's postpartum book from the library but haven't had a chance to flip through it yet, will post any awesome insights. For you experienced moms out there, where do you stand on the idea of having overnight visitors? Our family all lives 3-4 hours away but my SIL has offered to come up soon after baby is born to stay for up to a week to help cook/clean/etc. At first I thought this was a...
Big Lilac! I was EXACTLY where you are when I first found out, and I still struggle with feeling defective. Our doula helped me by suggesting that I use this as an opportunity to start mothering (you are a first time mama too, right?). Envision the type of mother that you want to be and be that mother for yourself right now. What would you want your sons to hear if they had to deal with a health issue? How would you show them your unconditional love? It helped me to think...
Hi deenielo! I live in Cayucos, not too far from you! I am pregnant with my first baby, due in December, and even though I have lived in this area for about 12 years I am new to the parenting scene and am also trying to find like-minded families. So far I have had luck with Le Leche League of SLO, and as mentioned the "whole-istic mamas and papas" group on facebook is great and does meet-ups in SLO and near you often... check them out! Also, check out the San Luis Adult...
Hi Lilac, I'm new to the group/site and catching up on chat, I know this is reply a little late. I am dealing GD too, a real borderline case kinda like yours. It's been 6 weeks or so now and I feel like I am getting the hang of it, though my fasting numbers are still the trickiest (my midwife wants them under 80!). I do what you said with dinner for breakfast, then any fruits or whole grains with lunch as my blood sugar is rock steady during that time of day, and again a...
I'm due December 1st and I'm guessing it's a boy. Truth be told I'm sorta hoping I'm wrong though, I'd be over the moon with a little girl