or Connect

Posts by shayinme

Yes! You sound exactly like me, just add the fact my Dad is a retired Pastor and evangelist. Several years ago I was looking at going to seminary, in fact I am the director of a faith based community center. However in the past few years I started reading more and more on the history of the church and frankly that combined with so many things has really shaken me to my spiritual core. Yet like you I cannot deny the Holy Spirit and Jesus, seen too much in my life and know...
  This is pretty much why I have stayed with my bank rather than a credit union. In my area there are tons of credit unions but they don't seem terribly user friendly as far as hours, ATM's, etc. The bank I use is a fairly large regional bank so it makes it nice when traveling. That said I am thinking of opening up a small savings at my local credit union since the idea is to save the money but as far as my primary account, probably will stay with the bank.  
One of my best friends was doing this until recently and it was really hard, their oldest kid is 7 and it was really hard for her to understand that Mom and dad were no longer together but everyone was in the same house. Pretty much it was about finances, in their case they own a house they rent out and are trying to sell, my friend had been primarily a SAHM and was transitioning back into consulting. It reached a point it was just too awkward for everyone so her soon to...
Hard to say since I am not really an animal person but I am the director of a community center that has an after school program for kids 5-17. On days when we are short staffed I will work with the kids and it drains me. i find when I go home to my own kid (plural but the 19yo is away at college so not at issue) it takes so much time for me to regroup and be present with her. Its interesting because the founder of the agency left years ago when her own kids hit school...
They are $86 a month according to the website. Or they can but weeklies depending on what their needs are are.
That is an amazing price, I was paying $1150 8 years ago when I left Chicago and I was in a good area but nothing crazy fancy (Andersonville for Chicago peeps). She is not going to get any cheaper than that.  
  Totally agree with this. Trucks eat more gas, a year or so ago we went from a Nissan Sentra to a Trailblazer and even not driving much that thing eats more gas. Also repairs on trucks can be more believe me, someone busted our taillight that thing was $250 to repair. My budget is tight but I do have wiggle room for that kind of stuff, the budget you have does not. I know it can be a drag to take CTA but I also commuted for years on it and believe me as someone who now...
  Chicago is very livable without a car, only place better is NYC. I grew up in Chicago stayed there until I was 30 and never drove until I left the state. I also had a kid in Chicago so I know about taking kids on the buses and trains. Its really not a hardship unless you are in a outlying neighborhood or suburb, last area I lived in Chicago I had 3 grocery stores in walking distance and a shopping cart (city dwellers know what I am talking about). Occasionally I would...
  As a native Chicagoan (spent 1st 30 years of my life there) the only concern I would have with suburban living is that aside from the suburbs closer to Chicago like Evanston, Oak Park, etc they would be dependent on having a car. If she is in the city proper a car is not necessary and depending on the area there are often cheaper markets for shopping so while yes rent is higher she can live a little cheaper in other areas. The thing is Metra is not all that cheap, I...
Dessert is the best part of the meal for me! Generally I will order and split with my my hubby or little one.