or Connect

Posts by shayinme

If you find someone let me know...we use Balzer but I must admit it's a drag traveling to Gray especially now that the kid is in school and we are selectively vaxxing. Yet I know of no one else between Saco and Portland other than the folks you have already mentioned.   Shay
I agree about gifts dropping off, by the time they hit school age my experience is that a lot of the lovely gifts you have come to expect drop off just at the time they are getting more expensive. It's not even about having a lavish lifestyle but as kids grow they develop interests. My son from 9-14 took violin and while he got lessons via bartering there was still the expense of the instrument as he grew. In high school he did drama which is low cost but as he got...
So very true. I have an 18 year old and a 5 year old, the 18 year old is in college now and while he lucked out with scholarships, grants, it's still money. When he was home, he could eat me out of house and home...from about 13-17, he ate like 2 grown men. I am talking we would eat a lovely healthy dinner at 7:30 and by 11pm he was hungry and since he could cook he would go in the freezer and make himself another whole dinner. This type of eating is common with pre-teen...
  So far nothing has shrunk and most everything I have read says high heat kills bedbugs. I did get some dressers earlier this year and I left them in my barn for months before I brought them in so I think you might be okay leaving things outside in cold temps.   I think when it comes to bedbugs its better safe than sorry. I know in my state we even had a case of them at an elementary school, again you don't want to go crazy but for me the idea of possibly spending...
Nope, you aren't alone. I no longer buy second hand furniture and am extremely picky about secondhand clothes now. The town I work in is dealing with major bedbug issues and having known folks who got bedbugs it simply is not worth the risk to me. I live in a large old house and after I heard how much it would cost to deal with an infestation of bedbugs that killed it for me. That said, even buying new you have to be careful, pretty much every thing I buy...
  I live in Maine, moved here 8 years ago and was a renter for the first couple of years here. My experience renting a house is that while it would be nice if the landlord bought a generator, it probably is not going to happen. I honestly did not find most rental situations here friendly for the renter and it's what made me buy a house. I am almost certain that legally she is not obligated to do so though ethically and morally it would be nice. You can check with Pine...
To add to what others have said what you are dealing with is pretty much the norm in the non-profit sector. I have been in this sector 15 years now and I am the Executive Director of an agency where we all work way more hours than we are compensated for. The thing is unlike in the for profit sector, finding extra money is hard in this case where you are in a fairly new program, my guess is the money is simply not there. I just lost an employee because of these very...
    I am in the same boat as you guys, my son was born in 92 so he is all grown up for  practical purposes. I do however have a 5 year old and her world at 5 is vastly different than my son's was at the same age. I was pretty broke raising my son, so he remembers when we didn't have a VCR or cable, my girl can't even imagine that. I didn't get a computer till my boy was 5 (13 years ago) and in the early years I only did school work on it. Now my little one expects that...
First off I am the Executive Director at a small non-profit, all staff members report to me, I report to the board of directors. I'll be honest it seems strange to me that you report to both the ED and the board. I've been at my agency 2 years and we did have a situation where a long standing staff member went to the board with an issue and they immediately brought it to me, in my case the board allowing that to happen created a really strange situation that resulted in...
Definitely agree that if you are in a small town and I know because I moved to one, changing plates and licenses is pretty much something to do right away. In our case we needed to get our bank account open, etc. So that is definitely a cost to plan for all, also as someone who lived in Chicago all my life till the move I was surprised at how much more costly car ownership can be in other parts of the country. In New England you have the pesky excise tax which I don't...