or Connect

Posts by beanandpumpkin

Congratulations M!
I was going to guess 8 months! I think that people either have forgotten how little/big kids of whatever age are, or else they just compare to their own kids. My kids are on the small side, so I tend to be surprised when I see these huge (to me!) babies and their mamas say "oh he's 9 months old." I hear "wow, she's such a peanut!" all the time about my daughter... she's turning 6 this week and is only about a half inch taller than my 3 1/2 year old niece, and about...
We have almost finished a short sale... job loss, cross country move, house value dropped substantially, it all added up to a bad financial situation even though were were NOT over-extended and lived frugally. I'd be happy to share details and some tips on doing a short sale via PM or email. It's a tough thing to go through, but there is a light at the end of the (long) tunnel, if it does come down to a short sale or even a foreclosure.
In our old house, which was very old and not very well insulated, we heated with gas and also a woodstove. The downstairs would be about 62 degrees with the stove going and the thermostat set to 65 or so. The upstairs, however, would easily be 75 degrees, because the radiators were more efficient and because heat rises (there was only one heating zone). So most of the time, we had the upstairs windows open. At night, we would turn the thermostat down to 60 and let the...
I would not abort. I can't imagine going through the pregnancy and delivery and placing the child up for adoption, but I do'nt know what I'd do... my initial though would be that we would raise the baby as we are our current children.
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer Oy. My lawyer brain kicked in and said "analogy." I was going to type "analogy" too, LOL.
At 6, my son could sound out simple words with much effort. At 7, he could read simple words fluently and would have to sound out bigger words. Now that he's 8, he reads almost every word that he come into contact with in level 3-4 books without needing to sound them out. I voted 7+, because before that, he was unable to both sound out and comprehend, and to me, that's not really reading. My daughter will be 6 in April and while she knows the letter sounds,...
Nobody on DH's side really said anything, but they were used to us being a little "different" anyway, since I was extended breastfeeding, not pumping Tylenol into my kids for every sniffle, etc. My side of the family has been mostly supportive.
IME, it takes a while to get past that point, but it will gradually all start to come together. It helps if you teach her to sound them out like this: mmmmmaaaaaaaaaat, instead of muh-aaa-tuh. My five year old can sound out all of the letters of the alphabet, but is nowhere near learning to read... my eight year old could do that for probably a year or a year and a half before he really learned to put it all together and read. I know for some kids it doesn't take that...
Ooh, I like this thread! I was 15. His name was Blair, and he was my first boyfriend. He was incredibly sweet and awkward but cute. We were in school, and he was saying goodbye to me because he would be leaving for vacation the next day, and he leaned over and kissed me. He wrote me letters while he was on vacation. He told me that that was his first kiss too. Then I broke his heart a few days later by breaking up with him with a NOTE! We remained friends...