or Connect

Posts by nwaddellr

The reason they started pastuerizing milk was that its such an easy vector for food poisoning, but if you're sure the cow's teats are clean (it's usually the fecal oral route that gets you with E. coli, Salmonella, etc.) you should be OK. Personally, I'd be a little nervous, especially early in the pregnancy.
Any chance you can take your DS outside when he starts getting crazy and loud? We're working on quiet indoor voices versus loud outside voices right now, and my DS (2.5) seems to understand the concept (now, remembering the concept is something different). Find a way that he can be loud and its OK to get all that energy out and then you'll probably have better luck keeping quiet when you need it.
Definitely keep track of how much you are spending on what for a couple of months. Also, be sure to consider all your once or twice a year payments as well. It sounds like you're not desparate to keep your monthly spending below a certain amount so you can just average those yearly payments into how much you would spend on them in a month and make it part of your monthly budget. Then you figure out how much you're making a month and set up your numbers so you aren't...
My DS potty trained the way your DD2 has. I consider him potty trained, but he will still have accidents if I don't remind him to go to the bathroom on a regular basis. After a while, my DS got up to every two hours (or whenever he does the potty dance) - and it really isn't much more work than if I had to change a diaper on a regular basis. But, I do have to take him every time - he's nowhere big enough to get on the potty and he wears a belt so his pants stay up so...
I've tried the filling up the days with fun activities - any cool toys you haven't had out in a while? It's just the worst that not only is child out of sorts but momma tends to be out of sorts as well since daddy isn't home to help at all. Let a couple of things slide for yourself (and have DH take care of them when he comes home!)
Ah yes - I'd be much happier in this pregnancy if the baby would STOP KICKING ME WHERE IT HURTS. The worst is in the lower back where it makes the muscles spasm briefly. Ouch. I also get a lot of expansion efforts on the right side, as in "I think I'd like a little more room for my feet - maybe if I push REALLY HARD right here" No! It doesn't work that way. And then the grabbing at the bladder. And DH just makes the "Well, it's good that the baby's moving" comment -...
My DH did this once at the playground and I told my DS essentially "I guess Daddy's going home without us. We'll have to find another way home." He hasn't said that again.
At his age, telling him something is not going to be enough to ensure he does it (i.e. don't throw the book - oops, there it goes). You really do have to be proactive and "help" him do the things that should be done. Don't expect him to be able to listen to what you say and then do it. Even if he wants to, his impulse control is so minimal and book throwing seems so fun that it's just going to happen. One important thing that has helped me is to rephrase everything...
Hey, I was just going to post this very question this morning (but I have a 2.5 year old). We generally go with the "Even if you're mad, you can't throw cars/hit people/fling food/etc. Instead, you should say 'I'm mad' and stomp your foot." I know when I'm really mad, I look for a physical expression for my anger (ice hockey is a lovely way to get out all that angry energy), so I was looking for appropriate ways for a child to express his anger. Hope other people...
Just wanted to reply to the food question - don't worry about the protein intake with all the dairy he seems to be getting. Even the ceral and bread are good sources of protein. A piece of cheese has the same protein value as a piece of meat. Don't you just wonder some days how your child EVER grows? Some days they just exist on air, I swear!