or Connect

Posts by Pillowy

I just saw this story today about high blood pressure and I thought of this thread: http://www.klrc.com/klrc-cares/prayer-center/friends-lost-their-baby/. High blood pressure is a very real indication for induction.
Navelgazing Midwife and Doula Dani just did a series on each of their blogs on VBAC stats and stories (home birth and hospital).   Doula Dani's post (which has some great number breakdowns and a great discussion) is here: http://whatifsandfears.blogspot.com/2014/04/mana-study-part-4-vaginal-birth-after.html   Navelgazing Midwife's posts are here (and I want to mention, while these take place both at home and in the hospital, these are all uterine rupture stories. Barb...
 I think it would be beneficial. There are a lot of studies - looking at various aspects of home birth - and it would be easier to discuss each one in its own thread. All of them in one giant thread which would get super long, weighed down, and confusing. For example, the Cornell study that came out about a month ago, and the recommendations about water births that AAP and ACOG just released this week - should those be discussed on the same thread? They're about completely...
 It was removed, and it was in Homebirth. It would have been in the last month.
 I think creating a separate forum to talk about homebirth studies/stats would be a great idea. I'm a very numbers-minded person, and I would love a place where where we could really dig into the numbers of all the new studies that have come out and have a real, active discussion.
 Why could you not just delete the posts within the thread that accused/named an individual? I know for sure that a thread about a homebirth death was deleted just a couple weeks ago - I was following it. It was the one about the baby Gavin Michael. I do know that one of the last posts in the thread named a specific person as the midwife. Why delete the entire thread? Why not just delete the post that named a person as the midwife, and remind everyone that for liability...
Okay, I think I figured out what you were talking about. I googled MacDorman and quotes about birth certificate reliability, and found this Daily Beast article where MacDorman, criticizing the new Cornell study that showed higher death rates at home birth, says:   "Most of the alarmist studies come from data pulled from vital-statistics data, from birth certificates and infant death certificates that are linked together. These administrative records “aren’t designed for...
 Hang on, I'm confused. This is the study we're talking about, right?: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db144.htm Marian MacDorman is the lead author. She said her own data wasn't reliable?
 I disagree with the idea that the study isn't measuring the overall safety of the place of birth, since the midwives in the hospital are CNMs and the midwives at homebirth don't have to CNMs. Many of us who have had homebirths or are considering homebirth have used or have considered using a CPM. Non-CNMs deliver most homebirths. So the comparison makes sense. We're comparing the overall safety of hospital birth with the overall safety of homebirth. A comparison between...
What I do know is that for my next pregnancy, if I choose homebirth, I am hiring a CNM or CM (if not an OB). With all this data that's recently been released, and what I've learned about the educational differences & requirements for CNMs and CPMs (and DEMs), I can't bring myself to think about hiring a CPM. Some are great, some are obviously not great, and there is almost no way to tell the difference beforehand. CNMs and CMs have a high bar of education they must...