or Connect

Posts by Backroads

I was thinking about starting my own thread, but this touched on stuff.   Husband and I are doing the plasma thing to help attack some payments.  It's not exactly necessary for our finances... but I go faithfully because it means an hour of peaceful reading (with a needle in my vein) while Husband stays home with the baby.    I think there is definitely a culture with attachment/natural parenting that was never intended but that far too many people subscribe to.  You...
I don't doubt she understands it.  But if I interpreted her point correctly, she simply meant that more often than not the individual and the family must take steps to proactive. According to your post, peanut butter ought to be full-out made extinct.  I found micah's post realistic.  I fully support peanut-free elementary schools, but if it's not available, you must do what you must.  If you worry about your child interacting with an allergen, you need to do what you must...
All right, whining and pouting were loaded words.  I did not think of coming here as a place to vent, so the context is more appropriate.  I did mean them in reference to not leaving people eventually make their own decisions.  My advice to the  op was no less helpful than tactics that aren't guaranteed to work.  I suppose I see little point in beating a dead horse when someone has made their decision.   It is complicated, but I do think we all should consider just how far...
My first response is this generally would not work out with most kids.   Of course, it really depends on the kid and the the family and all sorts of factors, but even a friendly, outgoing child who is no longer nursing probably needs a stronger relationship before spending such an amount of time with anyone.   If this family feels confident, so be it. 
To the OP... some people respond to information in different ways?  Have you ever thought of just writing your SIL a letter stating your views on the matter plus a few more facts?  This might be more effective and less confrontational than a face-to-face discussion.
 On the second point, you are right on.  My prediction of what will happen between family members is impossible. But on your first, I never said to not feel sad or bad about it.  BUT whining and pouting about it is not going to get anything done.  As it stands, circumcision is legal.  And, as much as I am against it, I do not consider circing the worst thing that can happen to a baby by any stretch of the imagination.  In fact, if it were a girl, I would also say the same...
This is a tough one for me, but after some thought I have no problem with elementary schools banning nuts on account of the youth and lack of experience of the kids.  Jr. high and up, though, I would assume those kids with allergies should know how to take precautions for themselves
Fenugreek worked for me.
I think you've done all you can do for the time being.  Frankly, if you keep pushing the issue you might make it worse and burn quite a few bridges that ought not to be burned.    Saying it's the parents' decision is certainly a over-simplification of the matter,  but the fact remains that your brother has more rights over this kid than you do.  Ultimately, you are not the one who gets to make the decision.    No one likes having information, no matter how valuable and...
A business trip to Boston.  Seriously, the nice feeling of going to the office and being all professional.  I worked for a non-profit making 10$ an hour in a job that had nothing to do with my degree, so I wasn't leaving some high-profile big-bucks career.  But it was a great environment.  Still, the trip to Boston would have been fun!   Right now, I'm kind of dealing with the guilt of not contributing to the household income.  My husband just barely graduated from...