or Connect

Posts by nutmegnovice

I was just gifted a bunch of old Nikky's wool wraps and Aristocrats soakers, but they have poop stains on them; they're larger sizes, so the poop is real poop, not EBF poop. I'm sure the covers are clean, but I'm a little skeeved about some other baby's marks on them! Does anyone have any ideas for getting the stains out? I can't think of any stain-remover that's safe for wool.   While we're on the subject, some of my daughter's little wool covers have some EBF poop...
Thanks for the reply, Tracy!   I actually found this online. Perhaps it will be interesting for anyone with a similar question: http://resweater.blogspot.com/2012/02/its-tutorial-tuesday-make-your-own.html  
I'm currently pregnant, and I started using some simple cotton flannel pantyliners to help with the discharge - I loved them! I'd like to switch to mama cloth for all of my needs, but I'm discouraged by some of the prices of quality products. I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own mama cloth with felted wool backing? Kind of like the Just Fussy Moonpads; those seem to have excellent reviews, but they are expensive, and I'd actually like to avoid bamboo. I...
Thanks, everyone! I'm feeling like we'll opt out of the ointment - I think the best protection for my baby is being alert to possible signs of infection and allowing his or her immune system to develop the way it is intended to, without immediate use of antibiotics unless deemed truly necessary.
My husband and I are expecting our first baby later next month, and since I do not have chlamydia or gonorrhea we've been planning on declining the erythromycin eye ointment. However, one of the midwives at the practice we're using, (we're birthing in a birth center and planning a water birth,) told me that she likes to give the erythromycin anyway after water births because of "stuff" that can be in the water. I have never heard of this before, and I'm wondering if any...
Oh, that is great advice, Monkey pants! Thanks to all for your help!  
Ok! My husband and I are expecting our first baby this summer, and we definitely want to cloth diaper right from the start. We've decided to go with cotton diapers and wool covers, as we want to use all-natural fibers on our baby. I've been reading past threads on this topic, but I was just getting confused, so I decided to start my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!   Specifically, my questions are:   1. How many diapers? I've heard three dozen...
These are really good points - thanks so much! You can tell that I don't have much experience with baby poop to date. I think I'll get two wet bags/pail liners with the PUL and put them in a simple plastic trash can with a lid; we can experiment leaving the lid off and having it on, and I can also try hanging the bag to see what works. Thanks again!  
My husband and I are expecting our first this summer, and we want to start cloth diapering right away. One of the many reasons we've chosen to cloth diaper is to expose our baby to less synthetic materials, so we're starting off with cotton prefolds and fitteds and wool covers. I'm now looking into options for a diaper pail sort of thing - my first thought was a wicker basket with a lid, and a simple cotton liner (like an old pillowcase or laundry bag.) I'm not...