or Connect

Posts by ALittleBitCrunchy

I've always named my cars. My husband doesn't, so I name his, too.   Right now, we have a car named Charlie and a van named Bronwen. My last car was Otto van Buren. 
I have two kids with type 1 diabetes. It's so stressful. And exhausting. And no one gets it, which makes the stress feels so lonely...  DS also has asthma, allergies, ADHD, migraines, a reading disorder and several surgeries to correct a birth defect. I absolutely hate dealing with the schools and get filled with anxiety just thinking about meetings. The daily calls (highs, lows, insulin needs, etc) are fine but medical plans are so frustrating because I just want to ask...
I have horribly tangle-y hair and unfortunately, my daughter does, too. I remember how much I hated getting the knots combed out as a kid.    For DD, now that she wants longer hair, we switched from a no shampoo system to a shampoo bar and traditional conditioner. We wash it at least 3 times a week, use the conditioner, comb through her hair before bed and pile it on top of her head in a bun. In the morning, the tangles are easily removed with a Tangle Tamer. A...
All of ours are from Etsy. I had zipper ones for a long time but the inner seams started to fray and we've gradually replaced them. We have velcro ones right now and love them. I'd link but the seller's store says she is on vacation. DH and both kids pack every day and I pack on occasion and we have about 15, which is good for as often as we do laundry :) They've lasted years!
We homeschooled DS K-2 and DD homeschooled for K and half of 1. DS goes to school because he wants to. He is very social, we live in an area with very little homeschooling and no options for co-ops or groups, and he loves playing sports and seeing his friends at lunch and recess. DD goes to school because she feels like it right now. She's planning to return to homeschooling in the future and wants to do the early college option. We were set up to school at home this...
My son was the same way and we sent him to school at the very end of second grade. He loved it and has never looked back. He's happy so we're happy.   DD has also wanted to try school. She hated it and never wants to do it again. For her, homeschooling (or virtual school) has been a much better choice. Again, she's happy so we're happy.   If you are willing to consider it and are open to the idea that it may be exactly what your child is looking for, it might be...
We had 2 kids in K12 for 1 semester and it was nice. It helped me transition my son into public school and I liked the curriculum and the teachers. We've also tried Connections, which I preferred. K12 is more flexible and easy to work in but Connections had so many more electives and fun things that made it worth giving up a little flexibility. DD is doing virtual again and this time we're moving to a locally-based school instead as the social side is more important and...
We've done it and it was fine. Very, very scheduled...but fine ;)  I always tell people that school can happen anytime, not just 9:00-3:00 Monday-Friday. We've done evenings, weekends, mornings...whatever worked around our schedules.  
http://order.starfall.org/k/shop2/productDetail.html?rp=teacher&item=NM601&_pid=T6yBOdCLwqIAAVQ9r9E&_c=0   We've used these from Starfall and love them. Blank tops for drawing, lined on the bottoms, very affordable!  
My son has similar tastes and it was hard to find. Thank goodness for GoodReads and the Scholastic Book Wizard! They helped me get started in the genre and now our librarian keeps an eye open for books he would like.   Hits around here - Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Diary of a Zombie Kid, Big Nate series, Vordak the Incomprehensible series, Stink, Captain Underpants series, Oog and Gluk series, Rotten School books, Secrets of a Lab Rat series, Sir Fartsalot. The...