or Connect

Posts by Cinco de Mama

SouthernMaple - In Michigan there are many 4-6 year old available via Foster to Adopt.  I can't speak for straight adoption.  I have two little boys that we're on our way to adopting.   They were 15 mo and 4.5 when they joined us.  I really struggled (and still do) with splitting my time between.  Their needs are so different and the older boy needs lots of attention and supervision.   Both my husband I work outside the home, so it might feel different if one of us stayed...
We use pictures too!   Our son has been like this since 4, he's 5 now.  I have watched him take his dinner plate, walk towards the kitchen and then wander into our den.  He is utterly shocked to see a plate still in his hand and has no recollection that he was headed towards the kitchen.   Just yesterday we saw a doctor for (PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, SPD, ADD - whatever you want to call it) and he said that these kids cannot understand consequences or rewards for...
I took in a 4 year old boy last January 2013.  I was his FIFTH foster Mom and he had been reunified with his birth once before coming to me.  None of this was disclosed when I agreed to the placement.  We STILL haven't been able to finalize our adoption - maybe by Sept/Oct 2014.   He was very angry when he came and mostly expressed himself with tantrums and crying.  Most of what he could express verbally was self loathing.  He would say things like, "I want to cut my...
My husband and I chose FC because there is such a great need for foster parents.  We talked to several agencies and all of them told us we could get babies that were not going to be reunified with their parents.  It's always a gamble however, unless the Termination Petition has been signed there's no guarantee.  Our experience is that Agencies will tell you anything to get you take kids.  We had to say no several times before accepting our two little boys.  We also were...
Congrats Caij_rose!   Let us know when you get some cherubs!  It's great to have folks with similar experiences to share the ups and downs!  I just celebrated one year as a Foster mom and hope to be just Mom when our adoption goes through! 
We have a two and five year old we're adopting.  The five year old is very excited to have our last name.  When he first came to us, age 4, he wanted to be called another name.  He had been to a few other foster homes so we thought it was a name they called him.  After a month we figured out he had named himself after the red Power Ranger!   We were okay with it, but it did fade away after a few months and he was back to his old name.  I think it was in part due to visits...
Has any one heard of treating Anxiety Attachment with constant contact between child and parent?  I heard of woman who adopted a 7 year with attachment disorders and for several weeks she and child were in constant contact (they were only separated for bathroom use).  They did everything together and the impact was really good.  I'd appreciate hearing of any experience with this.
When we first took placement of our foster boys, the agency did NOTHING to facilitate a relationship between us and the birth parents.  We were never included in the family planning meetings.  I finally was able to contact Mom and arranged a meeting over coffee!  WOW, what a difference it makes when you can have contact!  During our meeting I acknowledged that she had a right to know whatever she wanted about me and my husband, our home, and our lifestyle.  TWO foster...
My husband and I took in a 15 month and 4.5 year old 9 months ago.  These were our first (please let tomorrow's termination hearing go justly for these boys) and hopefully our last.  The 4.5 year had been in four other foster homes and was told by the last one he was going to be adopted.  You might imagine he was a pretty angry little boy.   There is a piece of my heart that will NEVER recover from hearing him say, "I'm just a piece of garbage, you should throw me out"  We...
Thank you all for sharing.  We seem to have a real consensus here and I'm going to let it go.  As for the LGAL, ugh, he is useless and cancels every meeting I schedule with him.  You would think the SECOND time one of his clients comes back in care he might show more interest.