or Connect

Posts by twockenfuss

I don't think you are not getting ahead of yourself...true, you probably will feel differently when the baby gets here but it's a lot easier to PREP now than RESPOND later.  Some ways you can prep:   + Get the phone number of a lactation consultant from your OB or ped NOW so it's handy. + Find out about renting a hospital grade pump.  In Baltimore it's about $50/month but insurance should cover the first 6 months and they are worth it. + Consider having a...
I love my Moby Wrap for sleeping infant, early months and carrying facing forward during walks and shopping!  It can be hot so it is not ideal for summer time.  Also, it is stretchy so it would not be ideal for gardening.    For gardening I would say you'll want a woven wrap (Moby is too stretchy) so you can do a rucksack carry    I haven't used any carriers but I have heard complaints from friends about shoulder pain due to straps...I've never had that problem...
There is a TON of data...even in more digestible abstract form...I did a search after my post also...so why are we battling with our children's HCPs?  Ugh.  My pediatrician tried to get me to "stop breast feeding just for 48 hours" so that he could diagnose breast-milk jaundice in my preemie.  Wish I had a pamphlet that said "Bite me."  Instead I said, hmmm...hmmm.  And then complained to my family, did my research, consulted my friends, took care of my...
Agree.  Agree.  Agree.  Except you have a lot going on trying to take care of you and that little one...I wish there was a means of getting this OT educated without your having to do it.  What we need is some sort of pamphlet or linked research we can present to these professionals (pediatricians included) with the information and wisdom that we've acquired (a lot of which has been iterated here).  Then we could just hand it over and say, "Thank you, but I'm not sure you...
NSmomtobe, Is a nanny an option for you?  It sounds like your son does have more energy than he's able to expend in a daycare setting.  Even hiring a high school student for the summer that could pick him up from daycare at 4 rather than 6 might help. 
I set the timer because it stops the whining (for my 9 and 6 year old).  For my one year old, I would set the timer too if I had to but if the whining starts the privilege is lost.  This means I have to deal with MORE crying from the baby...but I figure it's an upfront price to pay for less whining at 3 years old.  I will admit distraction usually works for me ... but I know a trick....Walk through a doorway with the baby...it can be an open door.  (Seriously, there is...
I had to use the nipple shield with my preemie...I know it's horrible...I thought we'd NEVER make the transition.  The sleepy baby trick worked a couple (2) times but mostly, not.  The switcheroo worked once.  After being rejected repeatedly I stopped offering the bare breast except maybe once a day and one day out of the blue, around 6 months old, she took it and never went back!    Keep up the good work, mama...this too shall pass!
Music!  My mother, sister and nanny all use music to put my baby down for naps.  Doesn't work for me...but that's cause she's holding out for the breast.   She loves to fall asleep to Iron & Wine, Bruno Mars, Dennis Jernigan...